HybridZ

Question about other Datsun model

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Hey everyone, I hope it's OK to post this question here, I would just love to get some feedback from some enthusiasts.

My girlfriend is looking to get a car to build up along with me and mine, she really likes the old Austin Healey look and I have her also looking at the old Datsun roadsters.

Anyone have any experiences or opinions? I know the Healey is British and Positive ground if I am not mistaken, but I'm pretty confident I can handle that aspect.

Anyone know if a L28 would fit in a Datsun roadster? If so, it would be a nice home for my L28 when I drop something else in my Z :wink:

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
Neat little cars.... a little cramped if you are tall.. but I don't think a L6 is going to fit in there....V8 maybe... but not an L6...

I'm tall, (6' 2") but she is only 5'2" so she should be ok. Didnt think an L6 would fit without some radical work. Maybe a GN and a nice lil auto :-D

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
I always thought a turbo rotary in a Roadster would be fun!

Tim

Ok, I should have noted that this actually needs to be a relatively tame car. She needs something that isnt going to get away from her, and certainly doesnt need something to give ME a run for the money :roll:

So does anyone know any reason we should avoid an old roadster? Any known issues that make it a PITA?

I think that 2 reasons stand out.

#1, our old friend the rust monster.

#2, they are beginning to fetch very premium prices as they get more scarse.

Electrical system is even less 'sophisticated' than the Zs, so that would need to be redone IMO. Not a big deal, esp. if you plan to hybridize it.

Maybe a N/A rotary....that would still be a demon little car.

Tim

Ditto on exactly what Tim said---parts are very scarce and command premium prices. A turbo 4 cyl would be better then an L6. An L6 won't fit well at all. Check ebay once in a while--there are Roadsters occassionally listed with engine swaps (mostly V6's) and an occassional V8.

Davy

They are pretty sweet... we have 5 or 6 in our club up here.

I'd rule out the V8 and L6, these cars are SMALL. The radios are mounted vertically in the center consol because there isn't enough width to the car to mount them horizontally... this gives you an idea of how small these cars are.

SR20DET has been done, VG30, KA24... Any reasonably powered 4 cylinder will give you a very quick car. SR20DET would be as insane as the 600hp+ V8 Z category IMHO.

I have seen two on the streets within the last year, one of them I see regularly. They are small, but I know my dad likes those kind of tiny cars. I am not sure if its a 1600 or 2000, either way its kind of neat, very small and definitely very old :)