HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #28

Well - I'm in Arlington, the car is in Dallas in many pieces, the headers are in California, and the T56 is in Fort Worth.

Determined that the expansion valve on the AC was in bad shape so, as planned, it is being replaced. The headers are going to be reshaped slightly and ceramic coated. Turns out that the header bolts had started to come loose and were starting to leak after about 1,500 miles. Goes back to the old engineering standard of always retorque all the bolts after they have seen a certain number of heat cycles. They always loosen up a bit. Won't wait so long to retorque them this time. Also had a lot of my hose band clamps work loose during that time frame. Caught them before they became a problem and got them all tightened up again.

Went out and picked up a Bieffe helmet this week. Won't have to gross out Lone Star 1 by sweating into his helmet any more. Also got a head sock so maybe I won't sweat into mine either. We'll see.

Looks like the car should be coming back together in about three weeks. Hopefully, I'll be back in full swing by mid September.

I got family in Grapevine - all I know is when next we visit, I'm gonna look you up for a ride to see how an LS1 compares to the old-tech SBC in my GTO! I'm getting antsy to install my downdraft Webers but have to find time to get a few other bits done first (like relocate the motor aft from the Scarab location). I just ordered my T-56 bellhousing kit from Mcleod and my buddy TrickZ has a pedal assembly for me and that TH350 is gonna be history! My first V-8 Z-car/GTO had a Doug-Nash 5-speed - what's called Richmond Gear nowadays.

I originally was going to get ithe expansion valve from my local Nissan dealer but got a better price from MSA.

It also turns out that the headers aren't getting slightly "reshaped". John is going for some more HP for me and is having new ones built.

OOh more HP, just what we need. I've got the Magna Charger almost install. Should have about 420+ to the wheels in a few weeks. It fits under the hood ,but I only have about 1/8" clearnce. I would like to fine a bolt on or tape on hood scoop to go over the charger to give me a little more clearnce and some cooling air to reduce the heat. Any one know where to get scoops? :D

Gary - Try a local hot rod shop - yellow pages.

I guess you'l be needing some flares for the 12" wide slicks pretty soon too?

You know - I make one run within .1 sec of your worst time and you go out and buy a supercharger. Are we getting a little competitive here?

It's not a personal thing, I just wanted a 10 sec. daily driver. You have to remember I've had mind on the road for over two years, and it was begaining to feel normal to accelerate from 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds. Took it out for a test drive and it need tunning bad. Maybe this weekend. Mike thats what I'm looking for, but more semeterical in shape. About 11" wide and 14" long, with about a 3/4" inch rise, and a rounded back side. :D

I'm going to let it get cooler before I go back. Maybe when we can all get together again. I bought some 235 R60 15 DR's from Zfan(Mike) but I'm having trouble with them rubbing. If you want them I paid like $150.00 for the pair and will sell them for that. I think I'm going to try the 225 R50 15's. The 235's would work if I had the right offset, but I have 0 offset wheels. :-D

I may take you up on the offer but I need to find the right wheels first. 'Course if I find the right wheels you'll problably want a pair too?

I'm looking at some 4-lug Z31 wheels (15x61/2) but I think the offset may be too much - but then I might be able to use a spacer that would work. We'll see.

Bill, I have been told by some Z owners that have gone as quick as 9 sec that the best setup is the original u-joints ( thats the u-joints that came on the cars in the early 70's) Those are the joints I have on my car. I think as long as I don't try a use to sticky of a tire I'll be fine. I'm on my way to the tunner now, so i'll let you know. :D