HybridZ

280ZXT vs 280ZX n/a suspension question

I was just wondering if the two different cars have different components (besides CV shafts of course), such as different spring rates, sway bars, etc. I am currently gutting an 83 turbo to use the drivetrain in an 82 n/a and was wondering if I should keep the turbo suspension if it has better components and rebuild it ( it's shot) or use the n/a stuff ( its like new).

Thanks

Aaron

• 1 year later...

I had actually heard the 280ZX Turbo's had a softer suspension than the NA ones. Does anyone know the actual spring rates for the Turbo models? I tried a search on both here and Google and came up with nothing (this thread was the closest thing).

The turbo suspension was a little better tuned. Interestingly as mentioned the springs where a little softer than the n/a, but the shocks were firmer as were the bushings in the rear control arm (so the ride was actually a litle firmer). Also the front anti-sway bar was larger by 1mm (23 vs 22mm).

However, the original spring/shock rates for both cars was suited for a big sloppy 4 door sedan and not a sports car. They should not be used!!!

Get a set of performance springs and shocks and replace the bushings. The only part worth taking of the turbo car is the front sway bar.

To clarify/specify my previous question, does anyone know the actual #'s of the spring rates for the 280ZX turbo? (or know where I might be able to find the answer) I'm researching custom spring rates and I need the original rates so I know where I'm at in relation.