HybridZ

Need Tips, Sources for Shaved Door Handle, decklid Actuators

Guest Willieboy240z

Guest Willieboy240z

I have shaved the door handles, locks and the decklid lock on my FirstGen Z. Now it is time to buy and install some actuators. I found a set ($220 at a local hot rod shop) but that seems like too much $$$.

Can you point me in the right direction? do I need "poppers" also?

Ideally, I would want to use the same small remote control unit for the doors as well as the deck lid.

Have checked AutoLok, but that stuff looks too expensive. Any other lower priced sources? Any tips for me? Some people weld in a plate to the door -- is this necessary?

I have two Zs and both of the passenger side doors are not working from the outside. Would this be a feesable option for fixing the problem? Do you still need to use the interior handle to get out?

Guest Willieboy240z

Feasible -- yes? Practical? I wouldn't recommend it. It involves more work than disassembling your door and just fixing your problem.

Customization options are unlimited and can vary widely. But generally speaking, with a shaved door kit, you would still likely use the door handle to exit the vehicle in most cases. You could use the little keyring remote to pop the door open (it wouldn't matter whether you are inside or outside of the car when launching it.)

I set up a shaved door handle system (from Autoloc) because i could no longer unlock my doors, and i didnt feel like dealing with it. it was much more work, but i have to say that i am pleased with it, though it is not working at the moment and i have had trouble with it pretty consistently.. but that is just due to the fact that i cannot find the proper replacement wire.

I destroyed the nice silver 8 guage wire they sent with the kit by running it to a bad spot between the door jamb, it crimped the wire... but it worked for about 6 months before it had any trouble...

Having shaved door handles is pretty cool IMO. But you really should invest in a good system if you do decide to buy one.

you will NOT be happy with a non-working shaved door handle system.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know about the doors but the rear deck is easy. I have a z convertible and all I did on the trunk is to tack weld a plate on inside of the hole and fill with bondo. I then got a remote trunk release and a junkyard and mounted the lever under the seat. Simple, cheap and clean.

your best bet for a remote system that would open both doors and the rear hatch would have to be a standard car alarm system from a reputable company like alpine or viper. a friend of mine works as a car audio installer and does that type of stuff all the time. any decent alarm system has the capabilities of locking and unlocking the doors and trunk, disabling the starter and rollling the windows up and down (provided the car has power windows). i would think the hardest part would be fabricating the mounts for the actuators. as for the parts, like solenoids and relays, i would think that any installer worth his salt would be able to find them in his sleep.

Willy,

The kit you are getting probably has the remote and a brain comes with it and that's why it costs more. I got my kit for $135 for 2 doors and it includes the 2 door poppers and 2 30lbs selenoids. But it's doesn't have the remote. I install an alarm in my car and this alarm has 6 outputs so that I can control the trunk, open doors and roll window up and down. In your case if you buy a kit with the remote you need to find out does it have extra outputs that you can use to control the trunk. The trunk selenoid you can get from a junkyard. The Maximas should have them. I would suggest you install an alarm.

The biggest problem with this project is to find room inside the door for the selenoids and attach the cable to the latch. If I remember it correctly the 30 lbs. selenoid is about 2" round and 4" long. On my ZX I place it at the bottom of the door and it is cleared of the window arm. I forgot how I attach the rat tail to the latch but it wasn't that differcult. I should have taken some pictures..

Wiring is not a problem for me since I've been installing alarm and remote starter for people on my free time for over 10 years :o) .. but it simple. Yes you will need 2 relays because the kits won't come with them.

Anyway just email me if you have any questions.

Vinh