HybridZ

Torsen Differential

260DET

BlueovalZ is possibly using one. He mentions installing one in a post he made in the Drivetrain forum. I remembered seeing that post not to long ago, so I did a search and found not only his post, but 56 other posts as well pertaining to "Torsen Differential". :wink: That should get you started in the right direction.

!M!

The Gleason/Torsen diff is pretty rare for thre R180 and a little more common for the R200. They haven't been made for years. Quaife in England makes their ATB diff for the R180-200 which is very similar to a Gleason/Torsen. I own 2 and they work very, very well.

On Ebay you can get helical carriers out of japanees cars for the R200. They will fit in the short snout R200 housing of the newer Z cars with the only problem being that of the side stubs. Make sure that you get the side stubs with the carrier when you buy it as none in the USA will fit, I think we tried them all.

They should fit the older R200 with out any problem excipt half shafts. We were putting it into a 240sx and the half shafts bolted up to CV cups just fine.

The reason I say it should fit is we put it in a R200 housing from a Z32, it had the same backlash as the old Vlsd carrier (ring gear) and it slipped right in. I have taken a Vlsd out of a Z32 housing and put in a old style R200 again keeping the same backlash. I haven't used it yet so I haven't proven it yet.

The 240sx has been autocrossed and daily driven for a couple of months now so I think it works.

Don

Thanks all for the useful info. I did do a search first but it didn't turn up much for some reason or other, hence the query.

Incidentially, the Torsen website provides a list of cars that had/have Torsens fitted as standard.