HybridZ

carb questions, plzz help

Guest mtj71Z

Guest mtj71Z

ok i fixed the fuel pump form the previous post, one of the valves was stuck shut so i popped it open and it works now. somethign else happens, ..... gasoline POURS out the air horns of my carbs and even out of these holes near the air horns. is this a carb problem or is teh fuel pump pushign too much? i need ot leave for school soon, so any help is greatly appriciated. thanks.

Guest mtj71Z

its the post right before this about the fuel pump. i didnt chnage any settings with the fuel system since i last started it and it never did this, except i had to open one of the little valves inside the fuel pump...

i have triple webers and it looks like the stock mechanical fuel pump on an l28. how do i adjust the fuel pressure? or is something wrong with the fuel pump still?

The stock fuel pump shouldn't be able to overpower the carbs, unless you have somehow disabled the internal regulator (Not even sure if they have one of these), but that is all I can think of. I would install an electric pump (they're cheap) that puts out about 4 pounds of pressure, and bypass the mechanical one.

Tim

Guest mtj71Z

ok is there somethign i need to check on the carbs then??

one thing idid that i dont think matters is i taped off a broken vapor hose coming otu of the tank...that wouldnt like increase the pressure in there too much, would it?

Guest mtj71Z

i tapped on the wing nuts in a clockwise direction and it didnt seem to help. the first 2 sets i loosened it and re-tightened it to where it was, and the third set still leakes a lout out of the horn. any other ways to check or fix them?

Guest mtj71Z

the first 2 sets dont leak gas, the third still does, but now its not igniting, just the starter motor. will that fix once they can hold in gas?? sheesh, thanks for the help so far guys.

Guest mtj71Z

oooh mama she is awake :P talky about GROGGY hehe

it started with gas dripping less and less eventually the ROUGHEST idle ever, as soon as i stepped on the gas it would die. so i let it idle for like 20 minutes came back and was pushgin the throttle by hand. it took me like 30 minutes of messing with it, but eventually i pushed it really slow and it DIDNT stall. so then i pushed it HARD and it revved -- my hair got blown back cuz i was right next to the carbs, smoke got pushed out of the exhaust, birds flew away, clouds parted,..well, you get the idea :P i let go of the throttle and she was idling like a beast again. w00t. its still a little shaky if i start it and step on the gas to take off, like i have to rev it real slow before i can rev it anywhere in normal driving range. but i think after i test drive it tomorrow that will occur less and less. thanks for all your help!

-mike

I run the normal su's and after i had the car in the garage for about two years the carbs would flood just like yours. After the damn needle valves don't have gas running throught them for about a year or so get stuck open. It sounds like you ran the car enough th push the needles down but i would have taped just to the right of the wing nut where the brass bolt is.

I bet the whole car smells like gas. I couldn't put the car in the garage for a week. Glad you got it running, I want those webers...damnit!

Josh.

Guest mtj71Z

yeah i looked at a diagram of one and it looked like the needle was right under that large brass nut so i was banging on that too :P the car doesnt smell like gas too much, but my garage floor does! got to rinse that out tomorrow i suppose :P

Guest oldZguy

Just got mine running after 15 years of sitting. I have webbers and the same problems.

The needle is under the big nut, under the nut is a fuel filter (screen) you can pull the screen out carefully and spray carb cleaner down in there to loosen the needle, if that dosent work you'll have to pull the top of the carb off to get to the needle, no big deal just be careful of the gasket and don't tear it. You have to take off the wing nut to get the top of the carb off along with the screws.

The other thing I found was that the low speed jets were clogged, sounds like you have the same problem. They are an easy fix. Remove the wing nut and cap. The low speed jets are the front two, main jets the back two. Use a large screwdriver and remove the jet, it is a long assembly and the very bottom piece is the jet. The jet is a push fit into the holder, pull it out and look through it you should see light through the little hole in the end, if not it's clogged. One piece of wire from a wire brush seems to be the right size for poking that hole out, be careful not to enlarge it. Clean all six and start her up, your idle and throttle transision should be all better.

Guest mtj71Z

thanks, i do have that low speed problem - so ill check that out.

the carbs ran really well before, now i get sluggish low speed (maybe the jet problem will fix it) butmy car also backfires. is that a low speed jet problem too or will i have to get them re-tuned?

thanks for all the replies.