HybridZ

How much would you pay to Dyno your Ride?

Guest Big Phil

Guest Big Phil

For a couple of weeks, I have been looking at buying a dyno and offering dyno pulls. It is difficult and expensive to use a dyno in San Diego County. The dyno will also be portable so I can take it from event to event thru out California, Nevada and Arizona. Since the dynos I'm interested in are accurate, portable and have a high horsepower rating, they are pretty expensive ($60,000+).

I will also rent it out hourly and daily to clubs and shops. The average rate is $75 dollars for three pulls, $150 per hour or $800 per day. How much would you pay for 3 pulls at a local show?

The unit I like the most is the Dyna pack 3000. It is different than any dyno you've probably seen before. Check it out.

http://dynapackusa.com/

Guest oldZguy

Your rates sound good. The local place, which isn't portable charges $35 tie down fee, $35 first run, $30 second run, $25 third run. They also have hourly rates + the tie down fee.

Guest jim@speednation

We own a dyno ourselves. I use it all the time with my different racecars and don't know how I'd live without it.

It's a Mustang Chassis dyno which can do all kinds of cool things like 0-60, 1/4 mile and top speed runs. We installed it above ground so you can get under the car while it's "driving" and check for vibrations, noises or whatever.

Here's a link to it on our website:

http://speednation.com/dynoday.htm

You're going to hate the rates. :wink: They're very inexpensive.

Guest Big Phil

Jim,

I like your website. How many customer a month do you average?

I have been looking at Mustang Dynos also. What model did you get?

I think the biggest model they offer that can be converted to portable operation is the MD250. It is rated for 900 peak hp and 150 mph so I should be able to do 0-60and 1/4 mile along with tuning and horsepower. The unit is $35K plus $25K for the mobile conversion (Trailer, generator, computer, hoist etc.)

Guest jim@speednation

We have the MD250 ourselves. It's a great unit. No problems in the few years we've had it.

As far as customers, that's a little weird. Our owner bought the dyno for himself and not for the business. He has written a few books and writes for various magazines too and wanted to be able to do real world comparisions on manufacturer claims. It also doesn't hurt when you're building serious racecars for your own use. :-D

Anyway, we only average about a dozen or two dyno customers a month. Really. Most of the time the thing sits for weeks between paying customers (can't count us using it ourselves). I know, it's an extravagence but what the heck.

I think we've personally sold 5 or 6 dynos for Mustang after people have either come out to our site or talked to us over the phone. I cannot begin to tell you how much better it is over a Dynojet. Call us weekdays at 724-926-3735 between 10am and 6pm Eastern time if you want to chat about it.

Speaking of the Dyno Shop in Santee. I went in a few weeks ago for a quote on getting some shakedown pulls on my 240Z. The guy wanted $120 for a half hour (2 pulls usually). He didnt "act" like he wanted my buisness either. Short and too the point and off he went about his buisness. Didnt feel very good about that place.

I'll wait til a club rents one out or a group of us maybe. Dyno Shop seemed a little expensive for 2 pulls...

Guest Big Phil

Jason,

I live in San Diego and I have heard from several people that the guys at the the Dyno Shop have a bad attitude. I don't think that they are trying to be rude, they just have so much business (pro racers & manufacturers) that they just don't have time for the average hot rodder. That is the main reason why I have been looking at running my own dyno. The goal is to give the average fella access to a dyno at a reasonable price. I'm not looking to make a ton of money (it's more for a tax write off) but I definitely want to break even on expenses (Dyno, building, insurance, utilities, etc).

Guest cbrunberg

Big Phil, I'm in Sacramento and don't know if there is a Dyno shop up here or not but if you were to publish a date for the club up here you would probably get some takers. We have a Norcal HybridZ news letter with about 40 people on it. I would certainly be interested at between $50- $75 for a baseline to a few tuning pulls.

Thanks Carl