HybridZ

Big Phil LT1 280z Tons of Progress lots of new pics

Guest Big Phil

Guest Big Phil

I gotten a lot done over the last few months. The motor is installed including ac and wiring. All the emission equipment (EGR, air pump, etc) has been connected. I received and mounted my new 17 inch rims. I added a rear gas fill door between the 89 300zx tailights. I am especially proud of the cold air intake I made from 3 1/2 tubing.

Here is a few pics, there are more on my website

http://groups.msn.com/Datsun280zClub/bigphils78280z.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=277

http://groups.msn.com/Datsun280zClub/bigphils78280z.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=274

http://groups.msn.com/Datsun280zClub/bigphils78280z.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=275

http://groups.msn.com/Datsun280zClub/bigphils78280z.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=278

http://groups.msn.com/Datsun280zClub/bigphils78280z.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=279

I have been looking at creating a new panel for the rear, I am not a big fan of Z rear, I think they could have used some work. Anyways how difficult was it, My plan was to just take a new piece of sheet metal and start from scratch. Can you shed some detail on your process?

Phil!! Way cool man....will it be ready for the next BBQ?

Jonzer12: have a look at my link in my signature if you want some ideas about starting with a blank sheet of steel. I would very strongly advise against it though. It has taken me way too many hours of excrutiating work top get everything straight. If you have a close look at the rear of a Z, it has a curve from left to right......very difficult to reproduce!

Tim

It looks like you used 3" tubing for the cold air intake? I need to make my LT1 cold air also but I need to find some 3.5" tubing, the LT1 MAf is 3.5". So if you used 3.5" tubing please let me know where you bought it from.

Thanks

Mike

Guest johnny1913

Read again Mas280, he did use 3.5 inch tubing for the cold air intake. it says in his post and I think it says on the webpage with the pics too.

BigPhil, I think the project looks sweet! Looks like you've put in a lot off work, from the stereo to the body mods. I especially like the Kenisis wheels and the gas door.

Q: How did you get the gas door flush? And were you able to find a gas cap that fits behind it :?:

Phil the intake looks good. It is a little more centered in front of radiator than I had planned, just to save a cut or did you have another reason?

I owe you bigtime since your guidance and experience with the LT1 install pitfalls has saved me time and money. I am staying a little behind your progress and always getting ideas. The S&P mounts with your adjuster bar measurements worked great etc. I moved the battery and mounted ECU in the hole it left. The fan shroud looks great....IMO the most important part of good streetable swap. john

Guest Big Phil

Thanks for the kind words guys. Let me take a few seconds and answer some of your questions.

Mas280 & Filbouy: The cold air intake is made from tubing 3 1/2 inch that I got from Ed Hanson's Muffler shop in Spring Valley, Ca. I bought two 90 degree pieces and cut about an inch off of one and 2 inches off the other. I had to place the filter exactly where it is because the filter is huge. I think it was intended for a diesel pickup. The silcon couplers are also from an turbo diesel pickup and are available from Napa. I am going to get the tubing powercoated later.

Total cost $150

Jaime 240Z: You can buy a gas door kit from Hagan Hot rods. Any hot rod shop can get it and it retails for about $100. There are several door shapes available. If you don't have a hot rod shop near you, it can be ordered directly from Hagan via their website.

Jonzer & Comeandzpa: The taillights are from a 89 300ZX. The matching center piece, that contains the reverse lights, will fit if you trim off a few inches. I used a dremel to cut the piece to size. Theres alot of sheet metal work involved and you need a mig welder. Definitely not a project for a beginner. There are step by step pics on Tim240z website as well as mine.

Heya, BP!

Ya know, I've long been curious about what 300ZX taillights would look like back there, and like many others I'm drooling over your side gas flap door. You're definitely going in a direction that I LIKE!

I notice that in your most current picture, it looks like you now have a gas flap in the middle of the taillights replacing the 300ZX backup lights. Have you abandoned the side filler so you can have a fuel cell in the hatch, or what? I've been pretty much off the board for a couple of months, so if you've already explained this a dozen times I apologize.

Anyway, kudos to you for your work, and I've got to say that it takes huge, swinging brass cojones for someone to dive in and modify a car that looks as nice as yours did to begin with. My hat's off to you for being a true hot-rodder!

Guest Big Phil

I decided that I wanted a smoother look so I abandoned the Motorcycle fuel door for something a little slicker. I just need to add the reverse lights and the rear will be finished. I think I'm going to use the round backup lights from a new beetle mounted low on the rear roll pan.

Guest Big Phil

They are 3 piece Kinesis Motorsport rims. They were custom made to fit a Datsun offset and bolt pattern. They are 17X7 front and 17X8 rear. I didn't have to convert to coilovers and they fit without rubbing. They retail for about $4000 per set. They are replacements for a set of 17 inch HRE wheels I owned for 7 or 8 year (I paid about the same for the HRE's). They are extremely light, super strong and the fit and finish is flawless.

Read again Mas280, he did use 3.5 inch tubing for the cold air intake. it says in his post and I think it says on the webpage with the pics too.
Well, it does "look" like it's 3 inches, without having a ruler or being up close to examine it. I think that's what mas28O meant, but I could be wrong. Oh well. shrug.gif