HybridZ

Why does the Head Temp Sensor effect timing?

Jersey

Hey all. Just got back from vacation yesterday- Went to Virginia, climbed aboard the USS Ronald Regan Aircraft Carrier, sailed 80 miles out to sea for 12 hours while F-18's landed, launched, did major maneuvers, breaking the sound barrier....talk about acceleration and agility!!!! One word - AWESOME. Anyway, I got back yesterday and started tinkering with my Z last night. It was to my understanding that the HTS didn't effect timing - only the ECM adjusted timing but, i decided to unplug the HTS while shooting the pulley and sure enough, the timing almost immediately advances near 10 degrees. So, i'm assuming, once the ECM received an open from the HTS, it adjusted injector pulse AND timing? What other sensors will make the ECM adjust timing? If i had a better understanding of exactly how all the sensors work in conjunction with the ECM and what the ECM does to adjust for the readings it gets from all the different sensors, i think i could figure out the problem i'm having. The FSM is vauge on some of the information i need. BTW - this is in reference to the problems i've posted here - http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24962 - and here - http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25052 . Last night i also swapped the ECM, Dizzy and Coil w/Transistor with known good ones and none of it helped AT ALL. Still rich at idle and no timing advance. I'm wondering if a leaky injector might be causing my problems. Running out of electrical/sensor ideas. Double and Triple checked all sensor values and they're all spot on. Also checked all powers/grounds and ripped apart half the harness, just to find everything was ok. Thanks in advance for any info.

All the sensors effect timing to some degree. The afm and airtemp inside the afm along with the cas rpm signal are the heart of the matter. It could be that inside the afm there is a small break. Or one of the enrichment tracks or resistors could be fubared which would throw part of the curve out of whack. Did you check the afm with an ohm meter as per fsm? If you're really ambitious you can check the resistance across each track. I have a turbo afm that I can check and compare.

Bernard

Guest bastaad525

Was wondering when we'd hear more from ya :) still chasing those gremlins.... life sucking for meright now, the mechanic hasn't gotten around to pulling the head off the motor yet (found out for sure it's a bent valve). I've been pulling stuff off a little at a time, probably gonna take off the intake manifold tommorow... seeing as I have lots of unscheduled free time all of a sudden... was suspended from work today with a very good chance that the suspension will be permanent. F'd up thing is it's over something someone ELSE was doing... long story... no job AND no Z car... life is sucking major balls right now :fmad::fmad::fmad:

Hopefully the mechanic gets around to working on my car soon... my Z is my therapy and I could sure use some right now

Bernardd - I did run the AFM through all the test as per the AFM. It was out a little bit - Off the top of my head, i think initial resistance is suppose to be 280-400K ohms and it measured 200K ohms. I also found out that this has an effect on the full sweep values. I added a 150k ohm resisitor in line which raised the initial value to 350k, which wouold also put all the remaining sweep values in spec as well. Didn't help one bit. I pulled the cover off and everything that i could see looked good and clean. Tonight, i think i'm going to swap the AFM with the one from my cousins 83ZXT just to see if it does anything. Thanks a bunch for the offer. And yes, i am REALLY ambitious...my Z's been sitting in the garage for over 3 weeks and it wont leave until i figure this out! Thanks again.

525 - sorry to hear about all your bad luck. It could only get better now, right? Good luck.

Hey all. Just got back from vacation yesterday- Went to Virginia, climbed aboard the USS Ronald Regan Aircraft Carrier, sailed 80 miles out to sea for 12 hours while F-18's landed, launched, did major maneuvers, breaking the sound barrier....talk about acceleration and agility!!!! One word - AWESOME.

Are you in the military, or can anyone do this?

No, not in the military. My cousins wifes uncle is the Commanding Master Chief on the UUS Reagan and he invited my cousin and me on the ship. They have what's called "family day" once a year and what it is is that the certain members of the crew are able to bring a couple members of thier familes onboard for this to see what the ship is all about. He just chose us this year. It was amazing being with the Master Chief. He is one of the top 3 men on the ship and everyone knew it. I guess being in the Navy for 34 years and doing the right thing gets you this status. Just awesome. Once in a lifetime oppotunity. He retires next year.

My girlfriend's brother is an F14 pilot on the Roosevelt and he invited whoever wanted or was able to come to go to family day. So, his parents went over and had a blast... I couldn't go, stupid school, always getting in the way! Anyway, I'm sure the F18's are a lot more agile, but it's always cool to see the F14's do the afterburner takeoffs. Makes me feel inadequate in the 200hp Piper Arrow that I get to fly for training :wink: He also gets to fly in to the airshow "for training purposes" this weekend in St. Louis and that'll be cool. I'm gonna definetly go to that one. Anybody in the area should come by and say hi to him. He'll be the only guy with an active F14 I guarantee that!

Don't want to get anyone pissed because this is the tech forum but, the F-14's are my favorite. They just look like they'd kick your @ss standing let along climbing up on your tail, aiming to gun your butt down!!! Wish i was near St. Louis this weekend, i'd be there. Cool. Take some pics and send 'em if you can.

Guest bastaad525

I've loved F-14's since I can remember, I used to build models of them all the time when I was a kid. Something about the twin engines and sweepable wings that just screams "fast as F***!". I always had planned on becoming a pilot and flying one of those, went to ROTC in school, but then found out I needed glasses which means no flying for me. Now I just fly R/C :) Started with planes but helicopters are my thing now, though one day I WILL build a scale R/C F-14 with working sweepable wings of course!