HybridZ

New Intake Blanket Pics

240Z Turbo

I had the company Advanced Thermal Protection build me a custom intake manifold heat blanket. Check out their website, it is amazing the work they do.

http://www.atpwrap.com

These guys are awesome and the turnaround time was 3days. The heat on the intake manifold kills power on our turbo cars as the exhaust manifold sits directly below the intake. I will have the final pics later today to post. Here are the ones I currently have. The shields are inconel that cover the runners and fuel rail.

plenumcover2.jpg

plenumcover1.jpg

runnercover1.jpg

DANGER Wil Robinson Danger :D:D

Very Robbie the Robot, sorry couldn't resist.

It looks funky.

I am going to dig around our shop, I have acess to several different types of insualtion. We get this ceramic concrete stuff takes direct +1500F flame. Lot's of that type of insulation in the boilers I design. It will really help on the turbo cars.

Guest cbrunberg

In one of my other lives I was a horse shoer. I used to make my own forges and used a product called Kaowool to line the box. It took a direct flame about 2000 degs and left the outside of the sheet metal box cool enough to touch. You can find it at ceramic supply stores. It's not as pretty as you inconnel sheilds but may work with them between the sheild and your runners.

Carl

the inconel is actually a .004" sheet that is stamped into a waffle pattern. A layer of high temp fiber glass is then applied and another layer of .004" inconel sheet. Basically, you have a high temp fiber glass sandwhiched between two layers of .004" stamped inconel sheet. This creates a 3000F heat barrier. It is not just a metal shield.

that is pretty sweet, very professional, and looks like it will be effective. Have you dynoed the car recently so you can compare power increases from the cooler charge? Or a temp sensor in the intake at least, so there is some idea of actual gains?