HybridZ

75% positive I'm putting a V8 into my '91 Z32.

Well, like the post says, I'm pretty sure that I'll be dumping a v8 into my Z32 sometime in the relatively near future.

In a few days I'll be purchasing a 1976 280z that has a Modified Chevy 305 in it with a Chevy Turbo 350 tranny. The owner says it produces around 275 hp right now. My original intentions were to buy the 280, sell the 305 and tranny, then build a 355 or 383 for it and put in a T-56. (All in the Datsun)

My Z32 is inching towards the 100,000 mile marker and I have been wanting to swap engines in that car when it got to 100k. I had planned to do a TT Z32 engine, but now that I'll have an extra v8 I see a golden opportunity to do a better/less expensive swap. I do realize the magnitude of fabrication for such a swap and that's part of the reason why I want to go ahead with it.

Instead of selling the 305, it would go right into my '91 Z. I'd sell the Turbo 350 and buy a T-56 for it as well. Once the 305 is in, I plan to turbo it since that seems to be the easiest route to more put power out of the 305.

I posted here to get a few opinions on some topics:

- Would it be worth it? (I do have a good idea of what work needs to be done, but any critical comments are appreciated)

- Would the Turbo be a good idea? If not, then what would? (Shooting for roughly 400rwhp, more preferably :D )

- How original would a v8 Turbo Z32 be?

- The 305 would have to be fuel injected for the Turbo installation to be easier/work right?

- Any other info you'd like to add?

I would REALLY love to have a Turbo v8 in my Z32. I just want to get some professional opinions on the whole thing before I just jump right in and mess somethin up.

Also, what about this...

Once the 305 is taken out of the Datsun, that Z is going to have to sit there until a new engine is built for it. That may (and probably will) take quite a while from the time of the initial swap. SO what about dumping the z32 engine into the Datsun and actually SWAP the engines? It would all be done pretty close together timewise. Just take each engine out with needed components and just put one in after the other one's done. I do realize I'd need a LOT of space and 2 engine hoists. I know that it would be a whole lotta extra work, but why not do it when I'm working on engines anyway? That way I'd have 2 running cars and the Datsun wouldnt be collecting dust. Opinions on that idea too please. smile.gif

Well, I am very anxious to get some sort of huge project underway. I just want to get a good idea of what is possible and which things I should just ignore. If you think I'm nutz please feel free to let me know bonk.gif , I have no clue as to how ridiculous this project may sound to some of you, but hey.. if it works, and I get it done, that would be extremely bada$$ eh? :D

Thanks for any help...

-- KraZeeZX

Guest the_dj

I know I already told you this on the phone, but this is so the people on the board know I said it. smile.gif Instead of having 1 car sit or have to go from chevy mounts to VG30DE mounts back to Chevy mounts in the Datsun, why not take the 305 and add a Holley MPFI fuel injection system and a turbo/intercooler to it for more power, and keep the Z32 as is for the time being. Then you have 2 running cars, one of which is a very light one with tons of power.

Sam

• 3 years later...