HybridZ

Crankcase Breather

zxtman

The inside of my intake manifold gets an oily residue from the crankcase through the pcv valve. I have the valve cover breather plumbed to a catch can and then into the turbo inlet pipe. My question is can I eliminate the crankcase breather connection to the intake to avoid the oily residue; is evacuation through the valve cover sufficient?

Guest Zachb55

you mean like plug it? im not sure thats a good, or a bad, idea. what im doing though is just letting it stick out and not go to anything really, though i may run it to my new individual air filters, im not sure what im gonna do, but if i see crud coming out of it and dirtying up my engine bay then something will have to be done about it...why not run it to the same place your head breather is going?

-Zach

The oily residue will accumulate over time from blow-by gasses in the crankcase. I've been told that it can't be left open; the engine will not run properly. So my question is if it can be plugged. I'm using a 5/8" ID hose from the valve cover to the turbo inlet pipe for evacuation. Will this take care of the crankcase as well?

can not be plugged. look to the race cars for this one fellas. they use a breather tank and have the crankcase breather and the valve cover breathers run to the tank located on the fender well of firewall. call summit or jegs. they can help.. pallnet

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

The PCV valve should be where the air goes in, not out. (PCV should be sucking in air, not blowing out air and oil). If your PCV is blowing instead of sucking this is normally an indication of way too much pressure in the crankcase. Is the other end blowing too?! (That should be the end that is blowing, if that end is somehow sucking then that is very unusual)

No one is answering the question. You are telling me that the crankcase vent tube can't be plugged but you're not telling me why. The pcv valve flows in one direction: from the crankcase into the intake manifold. Under boost, the valve closes and keeps pressure in the intake, so, under boost, no evacuation of the crankcase is taking place. There is air space that connects the crankcase to the valve cover, and that is through the front cover where the timing chain is. Hence my question, is evacuation through the valve cover sufficient?

No one is answering the question. You are telling me that the crankcase vent tube can't be plugged but you're not telling me why. The pcv valve flows in one direction: from the crankcase into the intake manifold. Under boost, the valve closes and keeps pressure in the intake, so, under boost, no evacuation of the crankcase is taking place. There is air space that connects the crankcase to the valve cover, and that is through the front cover where the timing chain is. Hence my question, is evacuation through the valve cover sufficient?

Put it this way. What will happen to blowby under boost? Just put a breather on it and be done.

You cannot put a breather on the crankcase vent tube if you have an evacuation hose from your valve cover to inlet pipe on the compressor side of the turbo. You will draw in unmetered air and run lean. If you are evacuating these engines, they must run on a "closed" system.