HybridZ

My Rendition of a 280YZ With Miata Headlights

wrenchtech

I'm just starting to get into this Z car action and so far I really like the look of the 280YZ body kit by Reaction Research. So far I have only seen it on race cars without head lights. I thought I'd add some headlights and driving lights right away using my trusty Macintosh and Photoshop :D The head lights are 2000 Mazda Miata and the driving lights below the bumper are Dodge Viper Venom units. I imagine it would be a little more difficult to actually do the modifications :D

Here's my dream car boys.

UltimateYZ2801.2inset.JPG

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

yes, looks very nice. great idea :2thumbs:

For the fab, I would imagine that you could probably cut the front point of the YZ flare back about 6-8 inches in a nice broad opening and then make a mold of the headlight bucket area of the miata and then blend the miata bucket into the opening of the flare.

Hrm, add a viper motor, would it become a Ziper?

The Datsun Z engine compartment seems to be able to fit just about any motor. An aluminum Dodge Viper V-10 would be very cool. I wonder what it would cost to get a good used viper motor and matching transmission? The Chevy LS1 and T56 transmission combo are relatively cheap and plentiful and give a lot of performance for the price. This is a supercar for people with modest income!

Update: There is a Viper motor and 6sp transmission on eBay right now for an openeing bid of $8,500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2431311520

Matt

There is no such thing as CAN`T. :twisted: With the right tools and fabrication skills. Not to mention CASH. Anything can be done. :wink:

If I had the spare cash, I would love to build a V10 Viper/Z hybrid. I`m sure that many of us here have 5-6k in our v8`s. What`s a few more for couple extra cylinders?

i never said CANT... i said it wont fit, but with enough money anything can be done...

if i had the money i would do it, but then again if i had the money i would buy a viper. :D

I'm going to pipe up because I did a little research here (the YZ fenders, not the Viper motor, you thread hyjackers :D ).

My original plan was to buy the 280YZ fenders and fit the stock Z headlight buckets into them. I am of the opinion that the stock headlight design is a key element in the winning look of the S30. JMHO.

I drove to Arizona with a headlight bucket, a big wad of I-can-do-it-ism, and a fist full of cash. I left with my headlight bucket, a strong dose of get-real-ism, and, uh, John got my cash.

When it comes to mixing and matching parts shape is everything. Straight lines will match straight lines but there ain't one dang curve on this planet that matches another.

I learned this a second time (I'm a slow learner) when I decided I just had to have Z32 taillights on my S30 (Yes, I know, everyone wants to see pictures. Soon.). When it was all done there was very little left of the original steal on the rearend.

Doing a body mod in Photoshop is one thing. Doing it for real is quite another.

You need to ask yourself three questions:

1. Are you a master of fabrication?

2. If not, are you willing to pay one to do it?

3. If no to 1 & 2 are you willing to have the finished product look like, well, you did it yourself?

Answer those questions now before you lay out the cash for the fiberglass, or whip out the sawzall. Just a little hindsight from a guy who's been there, done that.

I always thought the 280 YZ kit resembled the Ferrari Maranello 550 . Perhaps headlights placed in the flat slope and opening the bulge in the hood to make the scoop.

Thanks. I saved that image for my Z mods ideas file. What was done on that Ferrari looks relatively simple. It's basically just a boxed in cut out in the fender with a couple of lights in it and a nice cover.

Doing a body mod in Photoshop is one thing. Doing it for real is quite another.

You need to ask yourself three questions:

1. Are you a master of fabrication?

2. If not' date=' are you willing to pay one to do it?

3. If no to 1 & 2 are you willing to have the finished product look like, well, you did it yourself?

Answer those questions now before you lay out the cash for the fiberglass, or whip out the sawzall. Just a little hindsight from a guy who's been there, done that.[/quote']

I never said it would be easy to integrate some existing headlights like the Miatas or fabricate custom units from scratch. To create something different; Something that people can't instantly identify as a 1970's model; Something that looks like an exotic production car that's worth about $75k and even more importantly can run with cars that cost $75k is going to take a mixture of patience and persistance and doses of skill and/or cash (inproportion to how much of each you've got :wink: ). That said, I am thinking that the Datsun Z is one of the best platforms for trying to achieve that goal with the lowest expenditure. Heck, for less than the price of a set of Porsche 911 twin plug heads you can buy a used 280Z, an LS1 aluminum V8 and a T56 six speed.

I'm new at this, but, I'm thinking that for the price of a new Maxima I could have a 450 hp mini Viper of my own creation! :D

-BTW- I am taking my inspiration from Kent White, the metalworking genius and the owner of Tinman Technologies, where he teaches the lost arts sheemetal craftsmanship and sells hard to find tools you need to work like he does, and from the experimental aircraft people who have a fine tradition of innovation and exacting craftsmanship.

Thanks for letting me join you in this Z madness!

Matt[/b]