HybridZ

Help! Tranny pilot bearing (NON-Z)

Hi all,

I'm trying to replace the pilot bearing before putting a new clutch on my 70 Ford F100 ('78 or so 300 I6 engine, T-18 four speed tranny). So I got the little tool from AutoZone that is supposed to grip the back of the bearing, then you put the slide hammer on it and knock it out. Two minute job, right? WRONG!

I managed to pull out the center part of the bearing, about 3/4 inch in diameter. The new bearing is about 1 1/4 inch in diameter and there was a similar sized ring left in the back of the crankshaft, so I put the tool back on that part and commenced to slammin'. It doesn't want to budge. All I managed to do was gouge it all up on the inside and then the (cheap, powder metal Made-in-Taiwan POS) puller tool broke. Any ideas what to do? I was tempted to put the old center section back in, but I kinda tore it up taking it out.

Is it possible that the pilot bearing is the smaller 3/4 inch part, and the larger ring is not supposed to come out, and the new bearing is the wrong one? Do I just have to get medieval on that sucker?

Any and all ideas welcome!

I miss driving my Z parts hauler! (Z content)

The piece left in the crank is the outer bearing race. The possibility of putting the old pieces back in and using it are SLIM and NONE.

You have to get that piece out. I made my own tool for my slide hammer to hook the inside of the race. I used a grade 8 fine thread bolt and ground it down on the bench grinder.

It works really well and doesn`t slip like the ones that come with thepuller kits.

I would also like to suggest heating it with a torch, then tap on it with a hammer. Then reheat it, and quench it with a steady flow of cold water. This will cause the race to contract very quickly which will help to break loose any rust or corrosion.

It will also draw some of the water between the pieces which will help to lubricate tthe parts for removal.

You can cut the race with a dremel tool either with a cutoff wheel, or if the opening is too small with a grinding burr. Once you cut it it will probably fall out on its own.

Just try not to cut into the flywheel. A little scratch won't hurt, but don't put a huge notch in the flywheel.

Jon

Guest Phil1934

Try a piece of 1" dowel. (Cut it off the wife's broom, she'll never notice.) Fill the hole with grease line it up and smack it and you may be able to hydraulically kick it out enough to get hold of it.

Hey Denny,

I looked at the new bearing and noticed that the inner section could be pressed out easily. I did that and tapped it into the old bushing that was still stuck in the flywheel. It went in tight and seems to be OK. Do you think I'll have trouble with it?

Phil - I tried the grease trick - didn't work for me :cry:

Jon - I was leaning toward the dremel, but I'm dangerous with power tools. Hopefully I can get away with replacing the needle-bearing only.

Thanks for the input guys, let me know if I'm about to f*ck up! :roll:

Good, I feel better now :-D The outer "race" is really no more than a bushing, all the contact points are new. I scratched the old "race" a bit trying to get it out, but I don't think I made it un-useable. The new bearing went in tight and straight so I think I'll be OK.

Crossing my fingers!