HybridZ

Bad ecu?

DatsunBoy77

Just wondering now, I have been fooling with my car (83 turbo motor) for weeks withought getting any spark. I am now wondering if it may in fact be the ecu. I say this because i have tried a different coil and different power module. According to my chilton's you could hold the couil wire 1/4" from the block and it should emit a spark. Nothing. If my distributor was bad i would still get a spark from the coil, correct. The ecu controls the spark going into the power module, i think. I gotta go back throgh the manual and reeread that section again.

Well, my real question is there a way to find out if my ecu is toasted withought haveing to buy a $600 eccs analyizer. Thanks for any info. If anyone has one for cheap let me know, i only really need if for a couple weeks till i start my megasquirt conversion. I just have to make sure the car is running right first.

Ryan

Yah, i was worried that the cas would do that. So i just want to make sur i test it right. Basically just remove the distributor but leave the wire connected from the coil and spin the rotor by hand. As it is spinning i should have power coming out of the harness. Do i check each pin for voltage or is there another way to test it? Help. No manuals i have touch on the turbo dizzy.

ryan

I am definatly getting fuel. The plugs get wet and that is all you can smell after cranking it. Maybe it is the CAS. Now I am going to switch to megasquirt and have plans to use the stock distributor, now would it be more sensible to but a new distributor with a lifetime warrantee or just continue to buy used ones? This bad one is my second since i got the car in january.

I am definatly getting fuel. The plugs get wet and that is all you can smell after cranking it. Maybe it is the CAS. Now I am going to switch to megasquirt and have plans to use the stock distributor, now would it be more sensible to but a new distributor with a lifetime warrantee or just continue to buy used ones? This bad one is my second since i got the car in january.

Like I said, if you are getting fuel, I don't think it's the CAS or the ECU. It sounds like a straight-forward ignition problem.