HybridZ

Motorcycles

Guest Aaron

I am thinging about getting a motorcycle as a weekend fun toy for the wife and I. We have wanted one for several years now, but I am now seriously thinking about it. She got a ride on a friend's HD Roadking Classic, and now we want one even worse. We really want a Harley (her) or an Indian (me), but since we have never owned a bike before, I think we should start with something a little more economical. I am thinking a used bike that we could get for a few thousand dollars. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cruiser that would be a good reliable bike that would be good for the wife and I to learn and get comfortable on. I am thinking this would be a great Christmas or aniversary (in May) present to ourselves.

Of course something like this would be cool

usersent0389.jpg

usersent0390.jpg

Thanks in advance.

In mho why get a Harley at all. I personally ride Honda’s. Pro's and cons

Harley’s

Con

Air-cooled

Belt driven

Higher purchase price and parts

Pros

It's a Harley

Honda

Con

It’s a rice grinder

Pros

Water-cooled

Shaft drive

It’s a rice grinder

I currently own a 2001 shadow saber lots of chrome, after market pipes jetted. Runs great. Paid $9200 new try buy the equivalent in a Harley.

If you've got money to burn and like to do maintenance by all means, get a Harley. If you just like the looks, get Honda - Suzuki - Yamaha cruiser. Those are reputed to be the most reliable. And at a few years old they'll be in your price range. I've never seen a reasonably (IMO) priced Harley.

I'm not planning for a HD right now. Someday, when I have money to burn :roll: , I will have one. Right now I want a bike that will be good for my wife and I to get our feet wet.

On a motorcycle, what is the advantage of water cooled over air cooled?

Are there any models I should specifically look out for (exceptionally good bikes), or avoid (bad reputations)?

water cooled bikes will not overheat in traffic.... and they run cooler..

I would really reccomend starting off on a nice honda, a late model 750 or 1100 CC sabre can be picked up for a reasonable amount. They have shaft drive which is nice, very smooth, very reliable, minimal maintenance. Honda engines wont quit. I had a 78 CX500 that sat for 20 years, all i did was put some diesel in the cylinders for a couple days, changed the oil, filter, air filter, plugs, battery, and rebuilt the carbs; it started right up and ran great.

The new yamahas are looking pretty good though..

Check out http://www.cycletrader.com

Joe

I would really reccomend starting off on a nice honda' date=' a late model 750 or 1100 CC sabre can be picked up for a reasonable amount. [/quote']

I don't know Joe, my last bike was a '85 Honda Sabre V-65 1100 and it was dyno'd at 125 whp and 127 lbft. NOT a very good starter bike, LOTS of torque off the line :D I would say start with something a little smaller in displacement, but for comparison my Dad just bought a '95 HD Fatboy with the 1340cc engine and is that thing SLOW! It's really fun to cruise around on, but WAY to loud (has different pipes). Honestly, my butt dyno says that the HD Fatboy only has about 60-70hp for all that noise :roll:

Please, start off small (not a lot of hp) and work your way up.

!M!

Hmm....

a smaller bike would be good to start with i suppose...

I started on the CX500, i taught myself how to ride it, and how to operate a clutch.

I dont believe in buying something that i plan on replacing in a short period of time :-)....

I like power, i cant help it.

Just because you have power, doesnt mean you have to use it. right?

Joe

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

if you are talking about getting a bike that you could both drive I would strongly recommend getting something smaller than a Harley or Indian unless your wife is a pretty big girl. I think it is completely stupid when a guy gets a Harley for his wife for whatever reason and then she ends up on a bike that she isnt even close to big enough for and gets hurt or killed because of it.

as far as water-cooled vs air-cooled it doesnt matter much unless you are often stuck in traffic.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
I don't know Joe' date=' my last bike was a '85 Honda Sabre V-65 1100 and it was dyno'd at 125 whp and 127 lbft........Honestly, my butt dyno says that the HD Fatboy only has about 60-70hp for all that noise :roll:

Please, start off small (not a lot of hp) and work your way up.

!M![/quote']

Dont confuse HP with Torque, especially with bikes. The Harley's make tons of torque, especially off the line. Since they dont make as high of RPM then their HP #'s arent quite as impressive (although they make a little over 1HP per CI, even more now, I believe). The thing to keep in mind is how much torque and at what RPM.

Dont confuse HP with Torque, especially with bikes. The Harley's make tons of torque, especially off the line.

I should have mentioned the torque also on the HD. With most all V-Twins, they are torquey, but this one just didn't have what I thought it would, I guess that's why I didn't mention it.

!M!

I dont believe in buying something that i plan on replacing in a short period of time ....

Actually, if you are patient and know what sells well you won't lose money (except what you spend on maintenance) on a small bike. Lots of people are always looking for one and they are cheap to begin with.

Just because you have power, doesnt mean you have to use it. right?

Ehh, yeah. But it's not just about power it's also weight. Anytime you're going over 10mph it won't be a problem but low speed maneuvers are where most people lose it. Look at what most people say "yeah, it got dropped by the previous owner in the driveway..." hee hee, they never want to admit to doing it themselves...

Thanks for all the info guys, I am looking at http://www.beginnerbikes.com, good site. I was thinking that I did not need anything bigger thatn a 600 to start out with. I have seen a couple 250's in the local paper, but I am afraid that it will not quite be big enough to carry my wife and I at the same time. Combined, we weigh over 400 lbs.

I quit riding for 10 yrs when I started again I bought a Honda shadow 700. It was Ok for getting used to street riding again. I weight 220lbs but I wouldn't want any thing smaller. I now ride shadow 1100 but would like to sink my teeth into the 1800 VTX :D . Smaller bike have smaller wheel base i.e. less legroom. Make sure it conferrable. I took my riders test on a 250, nice and nibble but I would ride it more then 5 mile. Even the last time I rode my 700 felt like me knees were in my teeth compared to my 1100.

Guest 240hybrid

Get a 45-48 Indian Chief.... awesome bike. Cool sweeping fenders, great looks, I love them and want one bad. You'll get alot more looks on a Chief than a harley, people walk by the Harley's to look at the Indians. Very cool bikes.

I'm considering a more sedate bike for the wife and I, while I keep my ZX9R for me. Bikes I'm considering are in the touring class.

The one and only reason I'm not a fan of HD bikes is the markup. Quite honestly, I rode my brother inlaws Yamaha Roadstar Road King and it is was as much a Harley as any HD, and it does it for a far cheaper price.

HDs are old technology, which works, but you shouldn't have to pay a premium for it. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the proverbial chip that seems to be placed on the shoulder of a Harley owner (Not all, but many) the day they roll theirs out the showroom doors. They are a motorcycle, nothing more.

You love them or you hate them...

Mike :D