HybridZ

Brand of Block Huggers

Sumo

The JTR book sez to use the Hooker Block Huggers. Someone told me that the Summit Racing Brand is Identical and much cheaper. Anyone here tried or saw both to have a comparison?

Thanks for the replies, I knew there was a difference in flange thickness in some of them, I guess I wanted to see the difference in quality and tube bends. By the way I have seen the long tube that S&S makes from the JTR manual. You do have to modify it somewhat because Jason D. said that these were made mostly for Hot Rod set ups. So Bend it, fit it then get it coated. Thanks for the comparo guys!

[This message has been edited by Sumo (edited February 18, 2000).]

Sumo,

There are a bunch of brands out there that are identical in style. Be careful though. Fit and finish doesn't always go hand in hand. I'd also caution you to consider ceramic coatings NOT for heat protection so much as for life of the headers. I use Flowtech Ceramic coated block huggers and they ran me a bankrupting $180 complete with hardware!

Cheers!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Sumo,

I agree with Mike as I study the Summit catalog daily. (It's one of my favorite pastimes) Some differences are that the Summit headers have 1 1/2" primary tubes compared to Hookers 1 5/8". Probably more important is the flange thickness which varies brand to brand. The thicker the mounting flange, the less likely you will have warpage causing annoying header gasket leaks. The Summit blockhugger flange is 3/16" the Hookers don't say but I would ask when buying any header. The Summit truck header flanges are twice as thick as the blockhuggers at 3/8"! Hope this info is usefull.

Jer

Sumo, I have the summit brand, they are not bad for the money, However you cannot use them with angle plug heads. The spark plugs

will hit the tubes. I had to pull the summit brand and buy a reversed tube street rod header (125.00)to clear my angle plug heads. I tried to dimple them for clearance but it was not enough. they fit perfectly in the car though, i wish i could have used them.

Myron

I use Hooker ceramic block huggers that I bought from Summit. I just went out in the garage and measured the flange - it's 3/8". I also have Trick Flow aluminum heads w/angle plugs and, although there isn't tons of room, the plug wires do clear the headers.

BTW I mentioned the brand of heads because there are different angles to angle plug heads.

Guest Anonymous

I am running the Summit Block Huggers and they are working fine with the Edelbrock AL Non Angle Heads but I have to agree with the Comment about Ceramic Coating them....When I first put them in there was too much heat in the engine bay and I was melting Wires. So I bought that Cool Tec Wrap now after I driver the Car for a while they are glowing(no it's not running Lean)

-Chuck

Guest Anonymous

SpeedRacer...

Hey buddy..I see we have the same taste in heads. I am also running TFS heads on my Z as well. Email me and tell me what setup you have (engine), and I will do the same. Also...where are you located at.

Darth Vader

------------------

You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun.

Oh dark one, it is too late - I am way, way over on the dark side!

Not only do I have a 327 SBC in my car but my car is a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO built on a 1971 240Z. http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4294856715

The engine is a blueprinted 365HP 327 Chevy with the above mentioned 64cc Trick Flow aluminum heads, 1.5:1 aluminum roller rockers, new but stock 365HP cam, .030 over 10.5:1 forged pistions, 750 Holley on an Edelbrock Performer manifold and ceramic coated Hooker "Block Hugger" headers. I have a Summit gear drive starter on it and a 16lb nodular iron flywheel with Hayes competition clutch.

I just installed Summit's aluminum water pump and have almost finished converting it to Tri-power. I didn't change to 3 2bbl's for more horsepower, I just wanted a little more exotic look to the engine. They tell me that the Rochester 2bbl carbs. flow about 280CFM so I may get one or two more poneys. I'll post a couple of pic's of the engine when I get done.

So, what's your ride?

• 6 months later...

Looks like you get what you paid for... I running Hooker Comp Headers and have no problems changing plugs on the 2.02 angle heads. The pipe are bent to give full access to 700R4 trans with two good glass packs at the rear. Remove two bolts and one pull and the headers are uncapped.

------------------

Z U V8ter

http://cyind.com

Rspencer@satx.rr.com

I AM USING SANDERSON BLOCK HUGGERS, CERAMIC COATED. WHAT EVER BRAND YOU USE COAT THEM, ITS WORTH IT. IVE USED THE SANDERSON ON MY EDLEBROCK RPM STRAIGHT PLUG HEADS AND OLD DOUBLE HUMP ANGLE PLUG HEADS. BOTH WITH NO PROBLEMS.

Guest Fast Frog

A tip for us guys using whatever brand of block hugger headers:

A couple of yrs ago my car started running funny and missing. I started checking things but couldn't find the problem. After a wk, it got so bad I pulled into the garage to have a serious look. The garage didn't have a light on and it was fairly dim inside. The low light factor was good!! because I immediately saw the problem!! My spark, going to the inside plugs, was not getting to the plugs; it was arcing right on to the header from the plug wire boot. On closer inspection, I found that the plug boots on all the plug wires were "baked" and had serious cracks where the 90 degree bend goes to the plug tip. The more severely cracked boots were allowing the spark to take the "path of least resistance" to the header!!

I checked with some experienced hot rodders and found a solution. I purchased a set of plug wires brand name "Extreme 9000". They're smaller in dia and have smaller specially treated heat resistant boots that can be bent a little or a lot to meet whatever circumstances. Also, slightly dimple the two inside runners, on the hdrs, about a 1/16"-1/8" where the plug tip is the closest so the boots have a little more clearance! With my old plug wires, several of the boots were actually touching the hdrs.

Hope this helps!