HybridZ

new member saying hi

Guest 73TPIZ

Guest 73TPIZ

I've been visiting this site for a few months and finally registered. Seems like a lot of good people here and the info is outstanding. A little background. '73 240 w/ faded orange paint and dents but nearly rust free(previous AZ car). Blew 6cyl in Feb(just FYI, a 1-2-1 shift @WOT is not good for the motor). I had a entire '86 TA w/a 5.0TPI just itching for a new home. As of now the motor & 700R4 are installed. the driveshaft the the local shop built for me is bolted up. I have a fuel tank from a '97Z28 installed(backwards) and plumbed(3/8 supply 5/16 return). The T/A ecm wiring harness is thinned down and thru firewall. I have a Crane cam (2k-5krpm range),Corvette ram's horn manifolds, AFPR installed. Need to run about 4 hot wires and a couple of grounds to ECM and she may roar to life(so far the Datsun key talks to the chevy starter but thats about it) Sorry such a long post but I've really been impressed by this site and I'm excited to be here.

Guest 73TPIZ

HI Mike C and Denny 411,

Mike, yea I'm using the 2 1/2 center dumps. Right now they're not angle milled and all I have are the stub outs bolted up. Will do a tight S on the driver side and should clear the steering rod (hope so). I'll be running dual 2" for now as the 305 should't need more than that. I got the big manifolds in case I go to 350-383 later. My mounts are home made. I beefed up the stock towers w/ 1/8" plate and welded 1/4" on top. I made the brackets on the block also and offset them forward to place engine back. The motor mounts are from a Jeep Cherokee(2"wide and 41/2"tall) and seem to work well. The narrowness made the bolt up and offset easier. Right now, the engine is 11/2" from firewall (too far) and 1" from rack to harmonic balancer.

Denny, don't feel too bad. I think when the engine fires up that will be my official starting point and then I'm on the 3-7 year plan for completion. No bodywork yet, just drive and work the bugs out, then pull the engine and pretty up the car.

Anyway, thanks for the comments (from everyone) and I'll try to get some pictures soon. See ya!

charles

Guest 73TPIZ

Dan,

saw your pictures weeks ago hail.gif beautiful work. Mine is before VATS (i think corvette had it in '86 but TA didn't). The wiring harness wasn't too bad for me. I bought a book from Sun Coast Conversions and it was very helpful. Hopefully only 5-7 more wires to hook up. Mine won't be pretty for months but maybe someday. Again great work on yours. See ya

It sounds like you`re further along than most of us.My 75 is an empty shell in paint jail waiting on a fiberglass hood.My 77 is almost ready for parole and still has the stock drivetrain(I will most likely sell it when it`s done) I`m still rounding up parts for the conversion,and I`ve been here for about a year or more. ugg.gif

Well, Maybe by this fall cheers.gif