HybridZ

Turbo & High-Tech Performance Magazine

Phantom

I picked up a copy of this magazine a few days ago. It had a posting in the "Mail Call" section where one of the editors told a guy he couldn't put a Buick GN motor in the 280ZX because it was too wide and would require modification of the Datsun's strut towers. He suggsted a RB26ETT as a replacement but added that the poor guy would have to source it out of Japan. I sent an email to them showing the 5.7 L LS1 in my car and asked that the guy be directed to Hybridz.

Let's barrage the outfit with some emails and a few photos that show what can be transplanted into the Z car. Send to Evan.Griffey@primedia.com.

man that turbo mag is old, prob 3 issues ago. the day i got mine in the mail i sent a email with photos of ppls cars and V8's in there 280ZX's. i also talked about this website and etc.

not one word back from them.

mike

I quit reading that mag. since you find the same info in atleast 3 differnt mags almost all in the same month. I think they are owned by the same company. Anyway, I think Scotty GNZ needs to represent Hybrid Z on this one. I lost almost all of my good pics of my car or I would send something in just to show him an example of what modern 280 ZX should look and run like..

well they are owned by the same company, but Turbo mag does have the most tech then any other mag of its kind.

Dave Collman, a writer and whatever else he is worked for Turbo Mag and he is a BIG Datsun and Nissan fan. he owned alot of Datsuns from fairlady roadsters to Z's to 510's, he even had a 510 rally car.

he know owns a new Sentra SER with a turbo kit and etc i think making around 400+rwhp.

he knows his tech and cars too.

as i dont really like Turbo mag alot because its never has alot of pages to read and its always boring tech i already know.

I do like Super Street, even though it has lots of rice it does cover lots of Nissans, and lots of very cool JDM, and tuner cars from japan. plus the writing is very funny and i enjoy it.

i think one of them, either super street or turbo had a 510 and a 240Z owned by the same guy in it a year or so ago. its what wanted me to get a Z :)...

heres the pics of the cars..

http://www.lancut.com.pl/priv/emc/features/'70s_late_'60s_vehicles/gallery.htm

mike

Personally, Sport Compact Car is my favorite. Seems like the tech articles are more to my liking. Seveal years ago Turbo was a totally different magazine than what it is today. It had more tech and less flash also it was rarley less than 200 to 300 pages. Now it's more flash and always less than 200 pages. For my 5 bucks a month it's Sport Compact Car and one or two of the others. If I had the resources I would just start my own mag. Mostly it would be based on home grown projects something like Grassroots Motorsports but, on a more street and forced induction theme. Anyone, want to come up with the start up Doh?

Mike - I don't think a Sentra normally makes any "rwhp" :-D:-D

Also, look at what he says about the GS300/Supra transplant just before the Z article in the October issue. He's pretty much off base on that one too. Maybe the new kid with not much experience has the column?

What did he say about the GS300? I missed that one. So far as I know though only the SC and IS300 work well for a Supra swap. The GS has some other engine in it and I don't know how well it owuld work out. I too freaked when I saw the GN comment. Do these guys not have a clue about say searching the WEB for information before answering a question like that?! :roll:

Turbo magazine is definately different than it was 4 or 5 years ago. I don't even bother to look through it any more. My favorite magazines are Racecar Engineering (more like an engineering journal for motorsports) and some of the aussie mags like Zoom. They show some crazy setups down under and always have a good mix of new cars and old school cars. All kinds of hybrids too.