HybridZ

ECU erratic flashing LED

cygnusx1

Hi I have completed my Turbo swap and it runs great except for a couple of things.

1) It seems to run rich idle and decelerating with the TPS set properly.

2) After warm-up it idles a bit bumpy and smelly.

3) Turning the idle mixture screw in/out on the AFM has no effect on idle quality.

3) Green LED is lit with key ON and after warming up it flashes erraticly>

on----off-on-off-----------on-off-on--------off-----------------on-of-on...etc. like morse code.

LED does this ^ at idle AND while reving steady at 2000-3000rpm. When I let go of the gas pedal, as the revs come down, the light goes solid green until it hits idle. Then it goes erratic again.

FACTS:

ECU is 83 Turbo automatic remanufactured

Oxygen Sensor is a new Bosch Auto-Parts unit

All stock 83 Turbo sensors are being used and are wired in

83 Turbo Motor

5-speed Z tranny

All new injectors, tuneup parts, and timing set properly.

May have a tiny leak where the custom DP connects to the wastegate

Exhaust shop busted one stud off the wastegate- GRRRRRRR

Anyone know if the LED behavior is normal? And is this connected to my rich idle and decel?

Thanks,

Dave C.

I know what you're going through right now. I have the same problem on my 83 zxt. It just failed smog, and smells rich at idle and at deceleration. I am going to check my fuel pressure when I get a gauge, I think my FPR may be bad. I pull out my plugs and they look clean. I will also be checking the harness at the computer for a good connection to all the sensors.

check efi grounds first, I ground mine to two places on the manifold and then to the block-that cured the bumpy idle issue in my car. My idle fluctuates too from 900-1100 sometimes, but mpg and power have been consistent.

I have an erratic light, but power is excellent and idle hg is right on time, 25-27 freeway mpg so I know Im doing something right.

Guest bastaad525

I hope you guys figure this one out I do get some of the same problems, rich at idle and cruise... haven't checked my ECU light though I'll maybe take a look at that tommorow... not sure where it is on this thing :) they're on the end opposite of where the wires plug in? I also have a kind of bumpy idle but it's very steady, stays at 750 but will rise up to 800 after I get off the freeway. All my grounds off the wiring harness are definately good.

my idle has always been kinda high and stinky.

800 start to 1100 sometimes, but it hasnt hurt mpg or power so i dont even think twice about it. idle is choppy at times and sounds like i have a lumpy cam. sooner or later I will attempt to lower idle, but im one of those guys that once that hood opens, you might as well take a nap because war has just begun.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest joeyhammer

i sent you a pm.. but i was also wondering. i know nissan used the aluminum intake and head as ground points but doesnt anyone think they can be erratic? if you put a vlotmeter on the head where somethingis grounded it can go from 12v to 1 t 14v to 3.. mine did anyway. i try and use steel or iron

I just wanted to update you guys on the situation with my 83 ZXT. It has since passed smog :D after I replaced the O2 sensor and installed a new catalytic converter. I still have a slight miss after the car has warmed up. When cold it revs very smooth through all rpm's.

I have also run a ground wire from my O2 sensor to the ground on the wiring harness. My thought is that a rusted downpipe and antiseize on the threads can't make a good connection for the computer to read voltage. I installed my old fuel injectors to eliminate them as a cause of the miss. Car runs just the same as it did with the new injectors. RPM's drop if I disconnect each injector.

I will be installing new cap and rotor, plugs and wires. They are overdue for replacement as they are all old used parts that I have replaced on my other Z's. I keep old parts as spares just in case I ever need them...