HybridZ

Lt1 question

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I stumbled across this page:

http://www.hpsalvage.com/lt1.htm

While trying to help polarity with his question. According to this page, the LT1 was available as a 5.7 and a 4.3. According to another site I found, the 4.3 would be a 3.00" stroke. If this all is the case, then could I take the crank from the 4.3 LT1 and put it in the 5.7 LT1 and have an LT1 that would be a 302?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Well, I am pretty much determined to build a 302 either way. I am just curious if it could be done this way. It would be nice to have the many benefits of the LT1 engine. Of course, the next question would be if the FI and ECU could keep up with the much higher RPMs. :?

For the 30 anniversary of the Camaro, GM Performance Shop built a FI 302 from an LT1 with an L99 crank, and another LT1/L99 carbed combo. The FI motor was in a 97 Z/28 and the carbed motor a replica 67 Z/28. You should be able to find more info in Hot Rod. The carbed motor made LOTS more power if memory serves (40 hp or so.)

Keep in mind that there are 2 LT1's in Chevy history. The original LT1 was a V8 carb motor from back in 60's. The second LT1 is the one we're all more familiar with, the Fuel Injected V8 that came in 93-97 Fbodies, 92-96 Vettes and certain 92-96 Caprices, Roadmasters and Impalas. It was named in honor of the first LT1. I don't know much about the old carb motors, but I just wanted to caution you. I don't know if the L99 will physically match a modern LT1. Like I said, I don't know much about them, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

Good point, but the L99 came as the base engine in the 93-96 Caprice.

Good point. I should really learn to remember such things. I mentioned the Caprice and didn't even think about the 265 (L99). I shall return to the hovel from whence I came.

Guest polarity

Thanks for the help by the way. From what I can tell this is not he aluminum block so I am considering picking it up. It was for sale on ebay and did not get a bid, so I emailed the guy and I think I'm going to offer him $300 for the setup. Then I will have to find out what the knocking is and get after it. Hopefully having a running lt1 for under $1000..

Any advice on this part?