HybridZ

Hey guys, about project cars and parents.

Guest Vashe

Well, you guys may have seen my lurking around this board. I'm in love with Z cars (all gen). I'm 18, and working my way through school. I still live at home, and my Dad is hell-bent on me not getting a project car. "You can't afford it, won't be able to drive it" Limited funds sucks, and I had to wonder how the younger (18-22 crowd) can afford all the work and mods that are done to thier Z's. It makes me sad everytime I go out and see some young kid in a 2nd-gen 300ZX with the tops down, while i putter away in my Topaz. Thanks for any advice, and for letting me vent a bit.

Guest BigWhyteDude

the best thing you could do is learn how to do any work you need your self. Thats probly the bigest $$$ saver i know about. Or become really good buddies with your friendly neighborhood mechanic :)

I am in the same position as you. I still live at home, i am going to school, and i don't have a project car yet. I'm currently saving every penny i can and working. I also know how to do a fair amount of work on cars. some mechanical and some body stuff. But the skill i have are all useful when working a project car.

I have helped out several of the local "kids" that I feel have some pontential, and are willing to work.

I`ve gone to salvage auctions and bought cars for them, and taught them how to work on there own stuff by having them help me around my garage.

I`m always sure to explain what, why and how I`m doing things so they get the most benefit from the experience.

One strong word of advice... If you find someone willing to take you under their wing and show you the ropes, Always be respectfull of them and their property(tools,fluids,supplies,ect).

I recently let a kid help out at the request of his grandfather(my neighbor). This was a BIG mistake. :roll: He wanted little to do with the actuall "work" part of the experience, and was more interested in goofing off.

BTW... He`s NOT around anymore.

Guest polarity

I was/am in the same boat. Without alot of money doing a swap seems impossible. Here's what I've done. I started by buying my 280ZX from a local guy for less than $1000. Then I spent all my time fixing little things that were cheap (fenders from a junkyard $25, etc) Get the car running and driveable. You can work on these things for little money, and the best part is that when you do the swap (What I'm trying to do now) you can buy bits and pieces. Most of the parts are really expensive, no one in my family will just pay $600 for my new heads, so for christmas I just asked everyone in my family to pitch in on 1 item (heads, or rebuild kit, or anything expensive) then whatever they are shy I will save up and finish paying for myself. It sure does seem like the long way but if you're willing to put the time and thought into it, you will eventually get your car.

As for your dad being in your way. Just talk to him. Tell him you love these cars and want to learn to work on it. Tell him you know your bills come first.

I'm lucky enough to live on my own, so no old man to ask heh

Good luck

Billy Ronie

Guest Iceickle

Well i am pretty much in the same situation. Im 18, i just finished school (final exams in a couple of weeks tho) and i got my first car (260Z) a while ago. Its in running order, but of course i need to work on it, needs a new paint job (currently just grey undercoat) and lots of small things. Not having a job really sucks, my funds are very tight. Dad has been helping me out alot, he uses this car too (even though he referres to it as my car heheh). This week we will buy some black undercoat, and ill do a proper spray job and get a nice matte black coat. After this the car will look reasonable, so i can concentrate on other things (i.e. ford 302 swap, over here i can get a decent 302 for about AUS$500)

Don't give up!

Be sure to tell your father that everything you learn by working on this project car will pay off for the rest of your life. Your knowledge of automibiles will save your ass down the road.

Don't be too quick to jump on a Z that is being sold cheap either. I know you have low funds, but if you buy a project car with tons of problems, you will spend way more in the long run, and may end up with a worthless car.

Also, consider just getting a running Z and spend some time on the little projects. Engine swaps are costly and hard work.

Maybe get a 280zxt and fixing it up? You could improve the turbo motor without getting into the expense and complications of a swap.

Hey, I am 22 and a proud owner of 240Z for the past year

It took me about a year of saving up to buy a Z in good condition because it was suggested that I would pay extra for the car that looks fairly good and is in good drivable condition. I paid 4700.00 for my zed and put in a lot of dough into her another 1500.00 easy on upgrades. I had one of those older gentlemen help me out and teach me the process of repairing the vehicle, I am forever greatful. He returned to Ukraine some time ago, yet he taught me well on how to diagnose and troubleshoot the problems in the cars in general, since there are no Zs in Ukraine/Russia (well almost none).

So my mom is ok with me tinkering with the car, but the costs are getting high since I am planning for a complete restoration and upgrades, she said that I could have gotten a new car, and I looked at her like she is the enemy of the state :twisted: , but then she understands that I am in love with my zed

Guest Island Son

Just my .02...

Be a lil older than some of you on here i can kinda speak for the fathers...

It would please me to no end to have my son come to me and ask for help, even more so if he were to take the time and explain to me what makes him like this car so much and to explain what the intentions are toward the project...

My son now 19 is big time into skydooing and has asked my help a couple of times and it was great working with him, he is at a point of actually knowing more about them than i do, but that's ok as i was learning with him and we had a blast, i've told him of my plans for a Z and he got excited for me...

Not sure of your relationship with your father, but it can be an oppertunity for you to make a move and build on your relationship if you wish...

Take this for what it's worth.....;)

Guest Bamm Bamm

I'm 26 and just bought my Z..

I did have a few project cars in high school though. I had and still do have a extremally custom/race 73 chevy stepside. I sunk pretty much every dime I made at the body shop while I was in high school in it. and tons and tons of hours welding and smoothing off everything.. I have over $20k invested in it. My parents were always supportive of me and my hobbies. Main reason is hobbies like this will keep you out of trouble the more time your working on a car less time your likely to be doing something you shouldn't.. My parent's still think I'm a little crazy though. Buillt the hell out of my supercharged grand prix raced and rove it for 80k over 2 years then just traded it in on a 03 sierra which I dropped and cut the frame 3 weeks after I bought it. They still counldn't believe it when I was out in the garage cutting out sections of my frame to clear the axel..

I wouldn't recomend having a project car as you only car though. Unless it always runs and is driveable.. I own two trucks and Z now. so I always have one or two vehicles to pick from. but if it's going to be your only car and doesn't run etc.. I wouldn't go for it to begin with you'll more than likely get discoraged at all the time and money your putting into it and it still won't be done.. That's why I'm leaving the l26 in my Z for awhile. Need to do some other things first and with all the plans I have and to be able to run 8's or 9's like I want it's going to cost a [moderator Edit]s#@tload [/moderator Edit] of money. I know if I pull the motor and start tearing out the suspension etc. I'll get discouraged with it. So I'm waiting till I can totally aford it to begin with before I start such a huge project. Hell I might even just buy a car that's already been converted down the road because I'd save so much money buying one already done.

Guest Psilocybian

I'm 19, starting a v8 swap as of Monday(tommorow) it has been nothing but research and planning since May. Doing everything myself, as I want to make this beast from my own blood :P. I have some money put away so now for the fun part ;).

well im 19.. will be 20 in a month..

and i think im more in your shoes then anybody else...

i had a 1993 300zx Z32.. loved it but i wanted a project car..

i was told by my parents i wont have the time and the money to have a project car.

but i wanted to do something with me dad, as he isnt the healthiest person nor do we hang out alot.

i then sold my Z32 and bought a 280Z on ebay.

i got it pretty cheap ($2250) i think for its shape, and plus i want it 100% stock.

i got the car about 4 months ago. and i can tell you this.. if you want it done fast that wont happen at all.

ii spent alot of money on this car and i have yet to drive it with the new parts on there.

heres my list of parts i have for my Z... not including my motor thats getting built.

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24794

i dont know how much money exactly i have in it but i prob could have bought a new WRX STi with really cheap monthy payments.

well i drove my car around for about 2 weeks then put it on jack stands and now the front suspension is 100% done, the rear is torn apart.

how i got some money was i sold my 300zx, worked 2 jobs, and did side jobs like mad. I also sold whatever i could buy for cheap and knew i could make some money off of. also ebay and pawn shops are good ways to make some easy cash.

i may not be doing a V8 shop but i think my turbo swap/setup is costing me even more.

another thing is i HAD to buy a beating to drive around while my Z is being worked on.

but this is only because i needed to get the car some what done in a short short time because im moving to Texas for school... i think what i did to my Z so far has taken guys on here YEARS to get done.

best of luck and if you need any help on questions ppl here are VERY nice and will help you.

also you can email me or ask me anything anytime also.

mike

Same thing here. My dad owns a auto body shop, he helps me out and I help him out. It really helps alot to get along with your parents. And your definitely right about a project car being cheaper than a new car. Except if your Mike :lol:, just kidding mike. I plan to do the l28et swap, already have the donor thank god, I plan on using coilovers with tokico or koni struts, front 4x4 toyota calipers with vented discs and rear 240sx rear brakes, with pretty much the whole drive line from the zxt. I'd like to hear some other people plans for your cars.

John

Oh yeah for money just buy stuff cheap and sell it for a profit, and do sidejobs if you have the knowledge.

I'm 19 and have just finished a turbo swap into my '71. I have been working at a paid internship, which really helped to give me enough money to continue to make progress on my project. I have done almost everything myself (my dad does help out a little. eg, lifting trans over front cross member, holding engine while I push the trans on).

What has really helped financially is just doing 1 thing at a time, and not going totally overboard with everything, I went with tokico springs and illuminas rather than a full coilover setup. For the engine swap I currently have an L28et installed and running.

I had upgrades planned, but I need to start helping pay for stuff at home (the economy sucks, and work has been slow for my dad), so right now its just gonna stay the same. Until I get enough extra money I'll just drive it as it is, even though it isn't the fastest or most upgraded Z out there, I can still drive it everyday.