HybridZ

something you guys need to know about detecting problems

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1770&prmenbr=361

71023845.jpg

for those of you not familiar with these they slip between the block and spin-on oil filters, they don,t work on all sizes of oil filters, and they are not designed to replace frequent oil filter changes or allow longer times between oil changes

keep in mind the MAIN PURPOSE of pre-screens is to allow you a easy look at a SAMPLE OF the metalic, gasket,silicone and plasic crud that the oil system is pushing thru your engine,they are not designed to be filters,they do not trap 100% of the crud,(neither does your oil filter for that matter, they, the pre-screens, are designed to allow you to spot bearing or cam lobe wear quickly, but they only work if you take the time to INSPECT them frequently by spinning off the fillter and inspecting them, the average oil filter has between 200 and 450 sq inches of filter area, thes pre-screen have less than 10 sq inches of filtering area,so they are easily at least partly blocked with crud and can and do restrict oil flow if you NEGLECT to inspect and clean them FREQUENTLY we used them all the time on race engines that we worked on every week , and in that application they are a great help in catching problems before they become major, but if your like most guys and only take the oil filter off durring 3000 mile oil changes THEY ARE A BAD IDEA for THAT APPLICATION

BTW most guys running race engines DON,T USE THEM as the ONLY source of info on engine condition MOST guys also cut open and inspect the oil filters themselfs to look for bearing material and signs of engine wear

now Ive said this before, you also should have installed the good magnets in your engines oil pan, simply because they can trap and hold most of the metallic dust that a failing cam and lifter generates from getting constantly pushed back into your engine to cause furthe damage

magnet1.jpg

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=0001

...but if your like most guys and only take the oil filter off durring 3000 mile oil changes THEY ARE A BAD IDEA for THAT APPLICATION

I saw these before and didn't think much of them thinking that they don't have much surface area, and if they get clogged up with crap, well...

I just saw TRUCKS! on TNN or sorry Spike TV, and he was saying how good an idea these were to see what's going through your oil filter without having to cut it open, but he never mentioned the above quote. Listen to what grumpy says!

!M!

just some info, just one of those magnets can lift a sbc cylinder head, and yes they work exceptionally well at trapping metalic dust

I normally place (4) one in each corner of the oil pans sump to prevent metalic dust from reaching the oil pump pick-up once you get them and install them youll see how much crud they prevent from reaching your bearings the next time you pull the oil pan, and never forget to use them in future engine rebuilds. BTW the site mentions that they can loose strength if heated over 250 degrees, don,t worry about it, the magnets stay well under 250 degrees even if the oil gets close to 250 degrees, because they are in firm contact with the oil pans lower inside surface and that lower outside surface outer surface is in direct contact with the outside cooler air, in the many years Ive used them they have NEVER showed any tendency to lose strength, if your worried about it just J&B weld them to the outside surface of the oil pan sump, they will work almost as well that way

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=0001

So for my 3000 mile street car oil changes, am I better off just cutting open the filter? Or would I really rather not know?

BTW, I have a great source for high-powered magnets out of computer hard drives. They are incredible magnets and I can get them for under $1 each. Would they be good for this application? Or am I just trying to be ridiculously cheap?

baddriver

Those computer magnets make excellent engine magnets and if you can get them cheaply grab all you can and no you're not trying to be cheap, you're trying to use what you have available to you, and that's one important hot rodding skill

Nowas far as the oil screen goes, they are designed to be used at the track to check the engine condition they are not designed for streetcars they tend to clog up over time I would definitely not run one on the street

but it is a good thing to have on your filter when you're at the track you can spin off the filter and check for any emminant problems, I would remove it before leaving the track if it's you were only transportation

it might help if you looked at it as a fuse that tells you when something is about to go wrong

they sell those magnets for traction magnets on the little slot car tracks. The hobby shop I worked in had a demo track occasionally and built some spec'd out slot cars for it with best magnets, motors, tires, etc... run on a track with pulse modulated current control and BIG transformers.

We had to pry the cars off the metal strips on the glass counter with a plastic tool. It was quickly discovered that you couldn't use tools around them without a car stuck to your screw drivers etc..

and when the cars did sling off the track they were often found stuck to metal objects at great distances from the track. There are probably still several of those cars stuck somewhere in that hobby shop that we never found. I was never into slot cars, but these were very impressive. I just never could figure out why you'd want a $100 slot car that you can't see running cause it's too fast to keep track of and at any moment may fling off the track like a little bullet and you won't even realize it's gone till you hear it attach itself somewhere you may never find.

Don't even get me started on the slot car drag racers hooking banks of 24V truck batteries to the track....

Perry

everyone , reading this should buy 4 of those #1 magnets and install them in their engines oil pan,run the engine for a few months , pull the oil pan and then tell me what you find,If you wan,t Ill save you some time, youll find a larger collection of metallic dust than you would ever want embedded in the engines bearings , stuck to those magnets, and youll find the bearings looking far better than they ever looked before!