HybridZ

T3/T4 build-up

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I am building my own hybrid turbo. I bought a compressor and wheel off ebay a few months ago(before I even got my ZXT engine). .85 AR/60-1 wheel. It's LARGE. I pulled the stock turbo off the engine to see how things went together. Like a glove. The only thing I see a problem with is the 60-1 wheel has been reman'd and has been blasted(sand or glass beads). The hole the shaft goes though is course inside from the blasting. So, it wont slide over the shaft. It goes down a couple of millimeters, but that's it. I don't want to force it, incase I need to take it back off at some point. Any creative ideas?

Guest JAMIE T

Lots of people build their own turbos. Balancing is like a bonus. Most shops that rebuild turbos don't balance them. Only the bigger shops do. I have a local turbo shop that is going to assist me in this anyway, like, I'm getting the rebuild kit from them, etc... I'll see what he says about balancing it.

I don't know what normal operating procedure is for building a turbo, but I'm sure balance is critical for an assembly that rotates to 100,000 rpm. If there is a minor imbalance, you will probably get premature bearing wear and fast failure. If it is grossly imbalanced, you'll scrape the compressor or turbine housing as soon as it spools, and it'll be dead.

Guest JAMIE T

The thread seems to have gotten off topic. If it will make YOU ALL feel better, I will get it balanced. But, that was not what I was questioning.

The thread seems to have gotten off topic. If it will make YOU ALL feel better, I will get it balanced. But, that was not what I was questioning.

You are right. However, I'm thinking that however you manage to get the parts together now, be sure to balance it, as it most surely will be out.

Guest JAMIE T

Yep, I'm taking my pile of parts to the turbo shop later this week. I was gonna run the stock turbo for awhile, but it seemed like it had to much shaft play. So, I figured, why the hell not put the BIG T04B/60-1 on it and be done with that. I hope it doesn't cost a fortune to rebuild it though.