HybridZ

Black primer - this could be a problem...

Guest Iceickle

Guest Iceickle

Having not much time (final school exams coming up) i decided to paint my Z with just black primer, giving a fairly cool matte black look. First coat went on yesterday, now thismorning i find i can rub my finger on the coat, and i rub away some paint, leaving a lighter black mark underneath! This might seem really obvious, but neither my father nor the person at the automotive paint shop said this would happen (i told him what i was planning to do, he gave me a couple of tips to get the nice matte black look).

I dont know why this is happening, i dont have much experience, but the grey primer went on without any problems, and didnt rub off! Also my dad mixed the primer wrong, he mixed the paint 25% thinner, instead of 50% which the can says, but i dont think that would give this result...

So what do i have? A really good looking car, which you CANT TOUCH :shock::(

Guest Iceickle

Lol, i would name my car that if i had a V8 and decent tranny under the hood...

After sanding down in preperation for another coat, it seems to have stopped the rub-off effect, except the weather has turned foul, and i wont have another chance to paint it until a months time... :( so i have a scratchy looking black Z =)

Guest Iceickle

Well its ok now, the paint seems to have stopped rubbing off... I used a proper spray gun to apply it, what else is paint reduced with, other than thinner? The car already had primer on it (i dont know if it was lacquer). It was painted outside on a sunny afternoon, in absolutly still conditions. I'm aware as to the lack of protection this gives, but it is only a temporary measure untill i have more time to properly prep the surface (needs some bodywork :( )

Judging by your posts only being "35" it seems to me that you do not know about Racer X. He is an automotive paint wizard! No, check that I would say a god! Listen to him for he knows what he is talking about when it comes to painting an automobile :D

You will probably have to use a primer called DP90 Epoxy primer which uses a catalyst for the reducer to give the low gloss black primer finish you desire with corrosion protection.

Racer X help me out here, am I steering him in the right direction?

• 2 weeks later...