HybridZ

400 Shot of Nitrous in a brand new 350Z - Check Video!

slownrusty

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

As far as I know granny shifting is just the opposite of power shifting. It is shifting by shoving the clutch in, letting the gas out, shift, let clutch out and push the gas.

Of course, a power shift is shoving the clutch in, not letting the gas out, shift really quickly and let the clutch out.

And double-clutching is letting the clutch out and pushing it back in as you shift from one gear through neutral to the next.

I always thought it was funny in Fast and the Furious when Vin's character teased the other guy for "not double-clutching". In the wonderful world of synchros, there hasnt been a need to double-clutch since like the early 80's.

This fellow was probably granny shifting because power-shifting with that kind of power with the stock drivetrain would break lots of parts :twisted:

Guest Iceickle

Ah well... The car i learned to drive in (Nissan Patrol, i think '82 or around then) doesnt have syncromesh on first or reverse, so lots of nasty grinding noises if i'm moving faster than a snail when i shift into those gears... :shock:

Is it not also standard practice to give the accelerator a touch when in neutral while double clutching?