HybridZ

Auction for Apexi s-afc II any good?

Thumper

Just browsing around and saw this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33597&item=2436169547

At the local speed shop it is 385. I was wondering if anyone is running this. I'm just looking for alittle bit more tunning ability b4 I pay the big bucks for the sds system. I would run this on my 83 l28et. Stock turbo and injectors. Maybe upgraded injectors. Let me know. TIA

afc needs a LOT of ecu input that the zxt ecu cannot give it, and in order to run it, a lot of these signals must be made available, which can be done, but its a ton of work and still might not work right.

I would save the money and frustration and get frustrated over some standalone efi- at least when you get that down, tunability will be awesome.

Hmm...I'm gonna have to chime in here...

Even the 1G Z's have just about all of the inputs the S-AFC needs to work.

All it really needs is: 12v+, Ground, IGN, AFM, TPS, TACH. Everything else is optional.

I actually had a S-AFC installed in my '77 and got it to kind of work, the problem I found was that the stock Z distributor puts out too dirty of a signal for the S-AFC to read RPM correctly...however...if you have an MSD you should be able to use the tach output on it to feed the S-AFC a clean ignition signal.

You won't be able to use the hi/low feature to it's full effect other than setting base idle and off-idle settings since the 1G Z's TPS is nothing more than a CTPS.

You won't find instructions on how to hook it up to an early Z in the manual, so you'll have to break out the factory service manual and be kind of S-AFC saavy to understand the different settings.

There is a setting for the flap style AFM.

Guest bastaad525

what exactly does the s-afc do? or what DOESNT it do that the SDS does? Besides control ignition, of course? The ebay ad dont say much... guess I'll go hunt up the manufacturers page... I"m very interested to see if anyone else has gotten one of these working in an early Z/ZX. If this thing would allow you to take control over the efi, and would mean NOT having to wire up some new system from scratch.. then for the price that sounds good to me.

Guest bastaad525

that's exactly what I need... if it would work with a '81 zxt ecu.

and... that's if I even end up keeping this turbo motor... but if I do... that's what I need!

its too bad it doesnt work with our cars, thats for sure.

my buddy runs a 91awd talon with big injectors and a bunch of mods and tunes with the afc, he can get the sucker to pass smog with it!!!! IN CALIFORNIA!!!!

SDS AIC is another option as well.

Guest bastaad525

fl237 - what about what awd92gsx said?

Quote: "I actually had a S-AFC installed in my '77 and got it to kind of work, the problem I found was that the stock Z distributor puts out too dirty of a signal for the S-AFC to read RPM correctly...however...if you have an MSD you should be able to use the tach output on it to feed the S-AFC a clean ignition signal.

You won't be able to use the hi/low feature to it's full effect other than setting base idle and off-idle settings since the 1G Z's TPS is nothing more than a CTPS."

I have an MSD 6A, so that solves the RPM problem, and as far as the TPS problem... that can be solved the same way you solve it with a megasquirt, switch over to a 240sx throttle body, they have a potentiometer type TPS.

certainly SOUNDS like it could be made to work. I'm gonna look up the SDS AIC right now

Guest bastaad525

I dont see any listing for the AIC on SDS's website. If I were gonna get an SDS I'd rather just get and built the Megasquirt... $200 vs. $700+

Sorry awd, I totally skipped over a few replies somehow. Thats pretty interesting, what stopped you from fully installing the s afc? sounds like you almost had it. That puts the evil idea in my head of just installing one on a 280z and boosting right off the bat. Im gonna read up on that little box, its interesting.

My heater core doesnt work anyway :twisted: I like how the rpm reads out on the blue screen. My buddy has a S afc mounted over his tach and a Blitz Sbc boost controller in the speedo place-it looks GRRREAT.

Well, basically I didn't have the cash at the moment to spend on an MSD or a tach converter (although I didn't see any kind of tach converters)...and I was pretty close to getting an R1...so I ended up selling the S-AFC to a DSM friend (kinda wish I would have kept it and finished it, though) and used that money toward the R1.

I have also decided to go the V8 route (not necessarily for the power, but, more for the sound).

I'll be glad to help where I can, it's been awhile, though. I made a chart for myself showing which wires needed to be connected where, but, I don't know if I still have it. I'll have to look.

A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL IS A MUST!!!! THIS IS NOT AN OPTION!!

Oh yes, I wouldnt dare even think of that option without one, thats for sure. What ever happened to your 280z project? I thought being a dsm man, the turbo was a no brainer option for you, but a nice v8 with big exhaust does sound great. I can usually find the old version of the afc from people I know for around 100.00, and I would be into playing with one of those if its easily returned back to normal.

Well...I actually had the turbo engine/fmic/ecu/harness/etc... but, I just sold it all a couple of nights ago. I still have a few things to buy for the V8 conversion, but, money is getting split between my Z and my R1, so I probably won't get it done by Christmas (may try and get the install kit as a christmas present from the wife)

Just to add to the above...

I'm definitely going to probably do the V8 conversion, but, I don't think I'll forgo forced induction. My ideal go would be a nicely built LT1 w/supercharger...OR...an RB26DETT...OR...perhaps a Gran National 3.8L Turbo engine...

Either way, in the future, I will definitely go back to forced induction.

I've even considered starting to save up for a turbo kit for my R1...that'd probably be a little insane, though.

Guest bastaad525

What about the SDS AIC? what is it, what does it do, how much does it cost? I looked on SDS website but can't find anything about any AIC... anyone got a link I can look at?