HybridZ

front drag suspension

Ok i did a search and got alot of hits but nothing in this area. which kinda surprised me.

I have heard that the front suspension is almost as importtant as the rear in drag racing. Is there anyone out there that has a good strut/spring combo for drag racing? If i remember right you want the front suspension to extend quickly then come down slowly? if im wrong please correct me ;>

After im done with my 8.8 install i will work on the front alittle this winter

thanks

Most drag racing cars use a 90/10 drag shock in the front. But I have never heard of a 90/10 strut for a Z car. I remember someone here said their buddy built a pair of 90/10 struts, but can't remember who it was. The best you can do for now is use adjustable struts and set them to soft.

• 3 years later...

OK im gonna pour some gas on this one, It's been a while..... now that i have my struts sectioned to the length i need them. Anyone know anywhere out there that can make an insert to certain specs (custom).

For example i need a certain valving for a certain vehicle weight and the shock needs to be a certain size with a specific stroke.

I sectioned my struts with VW inserts and it's ride height is perfect. now i just need a set of inserts that are adjustable and specifically made for drag racing.

IMO it depends on how hard or violent the launch is as to what front springs and shocks you want. My boy's z launches with the wheels up all the time. So, that being the case I want a little shorter spring with alittle higher spring rate for less stored energy in the front to minimize the wheelstands. That coupled with something other than the stock strut would be nice.

Ideally you want the front wheels just barely coming off the ground if at all. Wheelies cost you time since it's energy wasted in picking up the front end versus moving forward. While impressive to watch and drive, it really isn't the way to go.

WTF am I saying, they are fun as heck to drive and almost as good as sex. :lmao:

Guest Gr8White

Ideally you want the front wheels just barely coming off the ground if at all. Wheelies cost you time since it's energy wasted in picking up the front end versus moving forward.

I would agree that in the vast majority of cases little or no wheelstanding is the way to go, but not the case in all cars. My GT (Mustang) is an example of an exception to that rule. My car consistently runs better 60' times with medium to hard launches and wheelstanding- not excessive wheelstanding but 6-8" of air under both wheels for about 50 feet. Any less and the 60' is off, any more and it's off as well. Before getting the suspension right it was really pulling the wheels excessively (around 24-30") and the 60' times really suffered. It's bad on parts (not to mention your rear bumper) and not only do you waste the energy going up, the rebound of the suspension will also affect the 60' time. Tripping the 60' lights with your rear tires is also a downside to big wheelies! I guess what I'm saying is every car is different, but excessive wheelstanding is bad regardless.

Ok here are some pics of the suspension installed and how it looks ride hieght wise.

can you tell which welds were done by a pro and which one were done by a hack!!!!!:P

DSC01981.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01976.jpg

DSC01980.jpg

DSC01977.jpg

I think im gonna need bump steer spacers :weird: