HybridZ

Miata seats

baddriver

Hey guys, my seat has always been a little uncomfortable, and I wanted to replace it, but the other day it actually broke! so I guess the time has come. I'm not that big of a guy, but I guess these seats just weren't ment to take a lot of abuse.

Anyway, I was sure I'd seen some writeups on putting miata seats in your car somewhere, but my search came up pretty empty, so I've got a few questions

1. Where are you getting your seats and what do they cost used?

2. How much trouble is it to install the miata seats?

3. I know some miata seats come with speakers in the headrest, do they all have speakers?

4. Didn't we used to have an interior forum for this stuff? Or am I getting my Z sites confused? I figured this or the non-tech board was the closest

fit.

my car's a 260z, and I have been looking for a place to put some front channel speakers.......

EDIT: I found what I was looking for here: http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22230&highlight=miata+seats

Looks like there is nothing to it,

Thanks!

Hey guys, thanks for the answers. It sounds like it's a pretty easy install.

TomoHawk: The speakers are an option, so not all the seats will have them, but E-bay seems to always have a few listed. I think all years had this option.

Oh, there are right and left speakers in each seat, I think they just have a 3 pin connector coming out the back, left, right, ground.

I'm going to try to locate the seats locally though, to save the shipping. With over 1 million Miatas produced, it shouldn't be hard to find some!

The miata seats would be a good alternative to installing speakers on an older Z, because they don't really have any place for the speakers to mount. Mine has 2-4" ones under the rear quarter windows, and the old rusted wires don't let the amps get to the speakers, or maybe they are too old to make loud sounds.

In either case, a fresh receiver and wires would do the trick.

You still have your hearing?? I didn't have that much air flow since I was in a rock band in high school! I bet you could reverse those things out the back and get another 5 mph due to "Jet power." :twisted:

I prefer smaller speakers to show off the full-range of classic rock-n-roll music.

I also have shakers under the seats, high range and mid range speakers. Also we just installed a DVD/CD radio with surround sound, a TFT LCD monitor in place of the rear view mirror and a color video camera looking back so we can see out the back. Watching a DVD movie that has a lot of base is a great experence in our car.

Dude,

You need to be watching what's in front of you, not what's on the video screen. I think video screens should be outlawed unless they are placed WAY behind the driver's seat, so there's no way the driver can be distracted or look away from traffic. It's just like damned cell phones- no place for them in the car.

Guest FinalRights

BAlford,how well do the bottom two speakers sit in place? Does the 280zx have the same mini-trunk that the 300zx has? If so,is that where they sit?

BD: I have a pair of Miata cloth seats with two (2) speakers in each headrest that fit nicely into my 2nd '72 240Z. Seats are very similar to fit, feel and comfort to the stock Z seats. They mount up easily to the stock position. As for the quality of speakers...so/so. Not a lot of power, but if listening to soft music while crusing, the stock ones are fine. You can replace them and enlarge the cutouts if you desire. They come prewired and the harness comes out under the seat for easy install. For the most part they are addiquite.