HybridZ

t-56 to a 280z block?

Guest sleepr240

I'd stick with a T5 if I were you for the following reasons:

Turbos like LOAD. People have switched from a 3:54 to a 3:70 or a 3:90 and actually LOST acceleration because the turbo doesn't get enough load in the lower gears!

The first gear would be practically unusable (too quick) - and this is WITHOUT going to the higher numerical rear gear you were contemplating.

:)

Brad

You don't mind if I take issue with you do you?

I have run consistently quicler ET's with 3.90's and a T5 then I ran with 3.56's. You must also consider your tires in making a statement like that. When I went to 235/60R15 drag TA's, they were pretty tall with 3.56's gears and the car did not leave as hard as it did with the 3.90's.

I might also point out that I ran over a tenth quicker with 3.90's on a failing turbo compared to running on a turbo that was not failing with 3.56's. Not to mention I ran the time with 3.90's on a much warmer day.

You can also see I have changed turbo's, and while the turbine is larger, the compressor wheel is roughly the same size, I went from H3 to To4E 60 trim, and ran faster on less boost.

So I have a stage V turbine, and I have no spooling problems what so ever.

Yes first gear is short, but I have no problem hitting full boost in first, or second. With a Stage 3 boost response is very very responsive. And the car moves out, and 3rd gear is the real power puller, and it gets into it quickly.

Where you will notice the biggest difference that I consider a negative, is interstate. I have found to really keep up with traffic, I buzz along about 3300 rpms or so, the 3.56 is nicer there.

I still get 20 mpg with no O2 sensor, and all my performance stuff.

I don't think to say 3.90's or 3.70's is a hindrance as a blanket statement is fair. There is more to it then that.

I have no problem at all with your documented observations. I was merely passing along knowledge that has already been shared on numerous posts, possibly from other sites as well.

The gentleman that said he LOST boost had a bone-stock setup.

I myself have a T3/T4 S3 Trim compressor and clipped stock turbine section. I spool up quicker and a bit lower in rpm than the stock turbo setup and have a good top end (not great). Since I am not going for larger injectors or changing anything else, I felt that the combination would work well for me and it has.

I still say the combination of 3.90/4.10 rear gears and the T-56 would make 1st gear almost ridiculously short and you wouldn't get much boost.

Yes I agree that tires would have an influence, but how many people are going to go with an overall diameter much bigger than stock?

Thanks to all for sharing their experiences - thisis what this site is all about! :D