HybridZ

massive depression

Guest CarGuyChuck

Guest CarGuyChuck

Okay, so I bought this '79 280ZX that had a lot of california time, so I figured rust wouldn't be too much of an issue. I got it from my brother in law, for a decent price. ($2500, with not one mechanical error, made the smoothest drive home possible) The car inside though was a worn, so after about a month of driving it I got tired and decided to restore it. This has been a lot more severe than I ever thought possible. I gutted the interior thinking it was just the inside, because all of the outer body pannels are sound. Today I went to jack the car up and put it on stands, so that I could change the oil, gas, and bleed the breaks. (hadn't driven or cranked it in about a month, due to money problems) I could barely get it up because it seemed like everywhere I put the jack I bent metal. I am guessing every bit of flooring underneath that car is going to need to be replaced. I don't really know, but I also don't have a lot of cash to throw around. I guess what I am wondering is this. Should I just give up and sell the car? I know that most Z's can't be in perfect condition, and not everyne can be rich, so I don't know what to do. This car is really starting to drag on me, and it's already lost the carpet and such, so I know I can't get near what I paid for it. What do I do?

With a floor jack, Only lift from the rear differential, and front crossmember. This should give you enough height to put jack stands under the suspension.

After the car is down on the stands,be sure to push the car to make sure it is stable on the stands.

Once the car is securely on the stands, you should be able to get underneath to inspect the floors and unibody.

With the carpet removed, did you notice any rust, or holes in the floors? If not...The frame rails themselves might just need to be replaced. This wouldn`t be all bad, since you would need to remove them to install frame ties anyway.

Guest CarGuyChuck

Thanks for all of the help so far.. I night to sleep on things really helped. Unfortunately, they guy who owned it before me knew nothing about cars, and lifted just about everywhere with the jack. The floor has been bent in a few places, and there are a few "minor" rust holes.. (very small, and due to recent water leaks over the last few years. Getting weatherstrip to replace it.) I am going to need a complete underside though I am pretty sure, because the frame rails are bent in some spots. How much do you think I am looking at here for new floor pans and frame rails. The car is fine on top and under the hood though.

I'd suspect you are looking at about $1000 in materials and labor, maybe more in your area. However, don't panic, this is actually a GREAT chance to upgrade the CRAPPY frame rails that are on that car to something that will make it handle 10Xs better at no additional charge. Find a good fab shop to do it and you might get off cheap.

As for the other poster's question about how to best remove it... Gringer 94inch model works well) and some metal cutting discs. You can also use a sawzal. No Zguy should be without a SawZal!

Mike :D

Guest CarGuyChuck

Thanks for the advice. I am going to let a shop do all the work. I can do engine work, but I'm not good with welding and cutting and stuff. I'll probably just give them a couple of grand, pull the engine, and let them take care of the rest.

Why don't you pull the engine, but instead of throwing $2,000 at some body shop to try and resurect a lost cause: find a good body/chassis?

You are not going to patch something up and end up with a better situation or condition than a well-preserved original. DAW

...Probably because finding ZXs in clean condition is getting as hard as fing straight 240--280s. I know I know "I see them all the time" is the response I'll get for making this comment, but I haven't seen many clean 280ZXs for sale recently.

If you do the pans and rails properly, the car will be as strong, if not stronger than before... Will it be "Worth" it? that is up to the owner.

Mike 8)