HybridZ

Me again Juan about Toyota caliper using Wilwood 1.25 rotor

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

Hello fellow Z ers. I have thought of a new idea. I am sure it has been passed around but what about getting a Toyota caliper,splitting it to fit a 1.25 wide wilwood rotor ? I would machine spacers to make it wider. Man this would be easy. I am trying to find a solution to get some good size cooling brakes under a 15 inch rim. Just thought I would pass this around. Oh the caliper would be the earlier non vented Toyota caliper. I would have to get a rotor that will fit with stock caliper height. Would the later Toyota 300zx vented caliper be better @ 12 pounds? I would think so because it takes a larger rotor? I love seeing ideas get passed around and hope to find a solution for all 15 inch rims users Thanks

Yes it is all CNC. Everything I do. I live 15 minutes north of Albany NY. You can fit the 300zx vented brakes inside 14 's. Evil, I am suggesting splitting the toy caliper to fit a large width disc for cooling filling it with a spacer. It will be precision made as all my work is and have passages for brake fluid and the seals. A wilwood would be most affordable and I can machine a hat for this setup. Thanks

I understand the concept. I guess I thought you did not know about the different Toy calipers. Toy 4x4 cals will work on a solid rotor and as I said 4runner cals work on 300zx rotors because the opening is at least an inch. I seem to remember that it is almost 1.25 inch. Instead of using washers to center the cal. I split it and ground down the inner parts of the cal to gain more space. Obviously not the face where the fluid passages are but the face where the rotor goes thru. I had thought of using a spacer like you are describing but did not have the tools to build them. How wide of a rotor are you talking about?

Juan' date=' I really want to see what you come up with on this one. My beef with the Toy calipers is WEIGHT! If you do a Wilwood caliper you can probably cut 8 or 9 lbs off each corner vs Toyota.

Jon[/quote']

Juan, correct me if i am wrong, but when you weighed them the other day i believe they were 6lbs lighter per side, but that was comparing toyo calipers + 300zx rotors vs superlight caliper + 12.19(?) rotor and hat. That is damn good when you compare rotor sizes. The calipers are about 5lbs difference between toyota and superlights. Oh yeah, and both calipers were fully loaded. So Jon, you do drop some weight but the sizing is incredible for the wieght.

Ryan

Ryan yes you are right. The wilwood setup is 12 - 13 pounds savings compared to the 300zx setup. The 12 inch hat and rotor weighs about the same as a 300zx rotor! And add to that a superlite wilwood caliper is 6 pounds lighter than toyo caliper. You are really saving on the caliper weight while upgrading brakes. If you can keep the weight the same and add more beefy cooling you are golden. I will think about this. It needs to fit inside a 15 inch wheel. I right on it along with other millions of things Thanks

Someone brought up before that the 12.19" rotors are used in circle track with steel wheels. He said it, and it made sense, but I never heard a confirmation on that from anyone else that this combo would work on a Z. If they would fit under 15" steel wheels that would probably be my route anyway, since the kit is already available and yes, the bigger rotor would be a huge advantage. Plus you can order any offset you want, and if you bend one it's $50 to replace...

Jon

Here is another option we can go. you could use my existing 12 inch setup but use one of those clamp style calipers. They are more slim and will provide im sure the needed clearance to fit the 15's. I had an NDL caliper and it almost fit inside a 15 with the 12.19 setup. Just another thought. Brackets would have to be made for those as well. It would cost much more than my existing setup price. I would have to machine some special brackets if we go this way. No rush lets discuss Price would be to much more than what I have already.. What caliper can we look into? Those from a 350z or Camero?