HybridZ

which engine would you swap into your Z?

Guest Jae

if you could choose out of a 1JZ, 7MGE or a VG30DETT to put into your Z, which one would you pick? i heard the VG30 packs the most hp(300) so ill prob. choose it.

i would go with the 1JZ, hehe 2.5 litre inline 6, much more potential, like the rb motor.

being though that availablity in the states would be an issue the best over all choice would be the 7mgte from the 87 to 93 supra.

it does produce good reliable hp, just as long as you remember to retorque the head.

what's wrong with L?

E31 head

F54 block

N42 valves

wiseco flat tops 89mm

73 L24 rods

LD28 crankshaft

300* / 8.80mm camshaft

adjustable pully

3x 44PHH carbs on a tomei manifold.

should get you good power

Is this a, I have a money tree kind of project ? If so I would do the 2JZ first, then the RB26, both with programable. If this is a limited funds deal I would either do the 7mgte with stock EFI(parts cars are cheap) , and later upgrade the turbo or L28 with SDS, T4, and big injectors. The 1JZ is nice but not really much cheaper than the first 2. You still need the wiring and computer. You could get a front clip but then the price goes way up and you could do any of the others for about the same. Fully modded 7M's make about the same as 1JZ's.

Guest Anonymous

the 1jz makes 280 hp and the 7m-gte makes 230hp. The 1jz has much more power potential than the 7m. All the 1jz is a destroked 2jz. The only problem with the 1jz is that parts are hard to find since it was not available in the US. If you where to get 1jz front clip you will probably have to extend the wiring harness since the ecu is on the other side, at least you have to do in the supra. If it where me I would get the 7m-gte and dont re-torque the head just get a metal head gasket.

280ZSupra, you would still need to re-torque the head on the 7MGTE if you have a metal headgasket. The metal headgasket mainly help provide a better seal, and also if you have any head work, help keep the same compression ratio. I have seen people who have blown a metal headgasket because they only torqued the bolts to the factory spec (52-58 foot-pounds). Those bolts where the biggest weak point on those engines, and now Toyota recommends that the bolts be torqued to at least (68-72 foot pounds). Also, a fully modded 7MGTE can easliy produce 500-750HP, which is not bad for the low cost of that engine.

Guest Anonymous

I mean instead of just re-torquing the head get a metal head gasket. Of course when putting the metal gasket on you need to machine the head and use the proper torque. A 7m-gte has actually been able to produce over 800hp but you can acheive those numbers quicker and more realiable with a 1jz. One of the main advantages the 1jz has over the 7m is its torque curve which is very smooth. Also the 7m-gte is the cheaper of the engines but if you are looking to make that much power you must have an extremly large budget, why not just get a 2jz you could probably get the same power with less money spent.

After poking around on ebay, you can buy a entire 7MGTE motor for about a grand, let's add some extra goodies like a bigger turbo ($500), 550cc injectors ($80x6=$480, ), and a programable boost controller($500). For about the cost of complete 2JZ, which makes all of 320HP, you can have a built motor that is putting out about 550Hp. Parts for a 2JZ also seem to run higher, so I'm rather lost on how a 2JZ can get me more power for cheap:-p

Guest Anonymous

LOL If only it was that easy. I got a 89 mk3 and if that is all it took to get 550hp then I would have had that long ago. I would like to see that list of mods you have there get over 350hp. You can not just put an upgraded turbo and 550 injectors on a stock 7m block and get those numbers. I assume that you would be making your own custom 3im downpipe and exhaust. Along with the IC pipes. You will then have to get a MHG ($135) and APR head bolts ($100). You will also need a lexus AFM ($249), upgraded turbo elbow($189), a good IC ($500), one kick ass bov($220), better pistons($759), piston rings($149), and some more stuff. I would also like to see this turbo you are getting for $500. A T04 turbo, which is designed to run on this engine will cost you ($1,375). You will also need the T04 manifold to help you get that 550hp which will run you ($1,750). These mods will most likely allow to reach that 550hp you where talking about. That made the price of your 550hp engine $6,757 . Now I am pretty sure the nice guy who started this thread does not have that kind of money to put into an engine. So if I was him I would get the 7m-gte unless he is looking to put out some serious power then get the 2jz. :-P

Stock 7M piston will get the gob done, as will stock head bolts. There isn't an issue with them breaking. MHG is a good idea though even though there are people making power on re torqued stock HG's. I just bought 2 Lexus afms shipped for just under $200. You'll need custom IC piping anyways as this is a Z. Stock MKIII intercooler made over 400rwhp on my L28 so it can't be to bad. Stock down pipe is a little small but works, just cut the dimple out and it's no smaller than the turbo outlet. BOV, stock one works. Upgraded CT-26 60-1 or 60 E trim turbos from PT and others are $475, you can get new T4's for the same $ though. There are many running around and over 400 rwp with upgraded AFM and turbo and 550's, John Lunsford did it with stock 440cc injectors. You don't need to spend alot to make more power. 300 hp is easily attained at 10-12 psi and that is good for a 12 sec 240. 400 rwhp for an extra $1000 isn't unrealistic.

1jz vs 7m, jeeze, if you wanna read all about it, look it up on supraforums, this argument went on there for 9 months in 100 million threads, you can find everyones opinion there, just remember, 99.99% of those people have no idea, they have never seen a 1jz in person, much less worked on, ridden in or driven a car with one, and second, most of the 1jz people never had a decent 7m car. theres only a handful of people i would ask about this.

the swap only took about 2 weeks, however we have been working on a bunch of things for it. If i had time and notice, i could do it in a few days while working and going to school.

I don't see how you could do it complete in a few days, 2 weeks with help I could see. Custom exhaust, driveshaft, intercooler plumbing, and motor/trans mounts + wiring takes time. I had a few days just in the exhaust.

Guest kustom240

I'm going to take the side of everyone else here and say go 7mgte. I haven't seen one that doesn't pull those heavy chunks of metal with enough power to plant you firmly in the seat, plus they're readily available and cheap and stuff. But I'd also run the 5mm greddy metal headgasket, AEM, 550cc injectors, a nice BOV and a rebuilt turbo, jack up the boost to, say 15-20, you could get 500+ hp..