HybridZ

finally fired the v8.....but

but unfortunately only lasted 30 secs. After I tried cranking it again it wouldn't fire. I'm thinking its my battery cuz it's only reading 12.35v, but the starter was turning the engine. I don't know I'll probably check the timing again tomorrow its probably that. It's good finally hearing the 350 though. It sounded pretty loud cuz there's no exhaust and only the headers. Well wish me luck tomorrow I'd do it now but it's getting late and don't want to be a nuisance to the neighbors also I have a calculus midterm tomorrow :cry:. Laters!

Jason

Guest Z-rific

Good luck on getting it re-fired. If it ran for 30 secs, and then died, well, I'm not sure that sounds like a battery problem. If anything, the battery should be stronger after the engine running.

My first inclination would be to check fuel supply.

just make sure to use some nice fresh gas, check for spark, fuel flow.

then you may want to do a voltage drop test on the starter motor terminal while it is cranking, if you read under 9 volts. you may want to deep cycle charge your battery or replace it.

12.35 volts is a very acceptable voltage reading, you generally wont have a problem starting until the battery drops to about 10.5 v. if you can get a use of a battery load tester, or a midtronics, then you can test you battery easily, and amperage draw during starting.

but, from what i know, if the engine runs well for 30 seconds, and then sputters and dies... it's a fuel issue.

Joe

Ok guys I started her up and the same thing happens. Good thing is I know what the problem is. Basically when I start the engine the fuel pump doesnt turn on. But to get it to run I have to prime the carb manually with a switch. After the fuel in the carb goes it dies.

1. my fuel pump works

2. don't know if my fuel pump pressure switch is bad or my wiring is wrong. It's a mr.gasket switch with 3 terminals. On the instructions it says the left terminal goes to ignition, right goes to fuel pump, and bottom goes to starter relay. I have it so the left goes to bat at hei, right terminal goes to fuel pump, and the bottom goes to the green white wire (73z).

3. or my pressure switch is working and im not getting enough oil pressure. I also saw a small leak at the rear of the oil pan. Could that cause the low oil pressure?

Well these are the things i'm thinking are causing the problems. Please I need help! It's my first project and I can't wait to get her on the road.

Thanks!

Jason

I'm thinking my fuel pump pressure switch is the problem. It cuts the fuel pump with oil pressure being below 15psi. But I've read that at idle 10 psi is normal at 1000rpm. So how do I keep my fuel pump on? Or should I get the holley fuel pressure switch. Well first I'll fix my oil leak problem at the pan and filter. Then use my oil pump primer to see if I have good oil pressure. If I do i'll probably replace my fuel pump pressure switch.

SHE'S ALIVE...yay i'm so happy right now. The problem was thosed damn crimp connecters. I went to check if the pipe fitting I used that connects to the fuel pressure switch was not clogged or anything, and when I pulled the wires off the terminals i noticed the fuel pump wire was cut inside the connector. I guess i crimped it too hard and it got cut. After i replaced it I fired her up and checked to see if the fuel pump was running and it was. So I was all smiles after :D:-D ! I let her idle high for 30 minutes with no problems, temp stayed about at 185. Man I'm so happy :D ! Now I'm gonna try and drive her tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys!

Jason