HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #30.5

As an adder to the previous post - I have now installed the rear 3-point strut tower brace from Top-end Racing: http://www.racetep.com. It took one hour from start to putting away the vacuum cleaner after vacuuming up the metal shavings. Socket set, box end set, screw driver, hammer, electric drill, silicone adhesive/sealant, and floor jack. Had to jack the car at the differential to unload the suspension to allow passenger side strut to get loose enough to force brace over the studs. (gentle persuasion with muffled hammer) It is a really snug fit probably as the result of slight sagging of my unibody over 27 years. Photo of install is in my album. Direct link below my signature.

zbobo, I have the same strut tower brace. And it didn't fit , And you right Phantom , they do charge a restock fee :roll: .So I used a floor jack and a short piece of 2x4 to "persuade" the cross bar to go around the air cleaner. Fit's like a charm :D . Now the problem I'm having is the JTR hood latch bracketd don't fit :( . The top piece has to be modified. I'll shoot some more pix later. 8)

how about saying down with the bracket and using hood pins? i was thinking about that just because it looked like a royal pita to run plug wires with the latch bracket so close. and i'm really curious about the 2x4 and floor jack theory.

Very Very nice install, engine compartment looks really clean. I didnt have the time to do that good of a job.

I finally got mine on the road last week and man it pulls hard in every gear. Lost a wheel bearing last week also just finished doing the replacement. Took it for a 150 mile run back to the house and its so much fun. The exhaust noise does get to me after the first 50 miles. My bro jumped in the car with me so i thought i would give him a ride and explore boundries that i havent tried. (Too scared to take it to the floor) I layed into it almost to the floor and before i knew it 90 was pushing on the speedo. No time to think going that fast!!! I think the LS-1 is a prime canidate for the swap!

Briguy280z

78 Datsun 280Z LS-1 http://fp2k.redshift.com/briguy280z/

Briguy - Good to see onother LS1 powered Z on the road.

Nice looking install. Warning about the LS1 - you think it and you're there. My early warning device is my windshield wipers - they start to flutter when I pass through 110. The problem is dropping out of warp once you get there. I'm doing an upgrade on my brakes next.

Zbobo, Let's see if I can explain it, I posistion the strut bar assy vertically.on the floor with the part of it that mount's to the firewall on the floor and the part to stretch up, I then put my 3 ton floor jack between the top and bottom of the StB. A small length of 2x4 , about 12inch's long is now positioned on the lifting pad and you stretch apart the StB.about 2 inch's. It worked out good because the bar was too wide to begin ,the mounting holes were too far apart, and the stetching actually brought the mounting tabs closer together. And I still had to slot one of the holes to make it fit. It was NOT a bolt-in part. You still have to file and massage the part to get it in. I hope I didn't confuse you. But like everything on this car, Every part has been "persuaded" in.

Thanks - wife laid down the law. Car must be reliable, fast, and of show car quality. I still have a long way to go but it's getting there.

I think you found the secret. My wife looks at everything in $$, but if I tell her I'm just trying to make a fast, reliable, show quality car maybe she'll take it easy on me :)

I'm not going to be able to make the 24th :( I'm flying to florida to drive the wife and kids back. Have a great time! I want to see some mid 12 second passes from you!

Phyte

phantom...

your wife has the right idea... mine wouldn't want me to half-@$$ it either.

i think it all comes down to not wanting to be seen in a shoddy car. :wink: . fast z-cars- no confusion whatsoever. i can picture the whole event now and considering my patience for things that don't fit right it won't be g-rated :cuss::cuss: . but i like the extra stiffness that setup has to provide and i might just deal with it for that reason. all i can say is here's to hoping my car comes out half as nice as 99.999% of the members of this forum. :hail::rockon::cheers: if it wouldn't be a logistical nightmare, i'd say we need to do an all hybridz.org car show!