HybridZ

will a rear from a 240sx work?

Belvedere

I have a freind who has inherited an 88' 240SX, The price is right (free) for the rear end. I understand 200SX has an R200 rear, but I've never heard any mention of the 240SX. I noticed the rear had a finned rear cover. that led me to belive it might be a viscus rear. Any one have a thought? I do like the seats, I may snatch them too.

Thanks

The 240SX uses an R200, but it is of a different case than the Z, ZX, and 200SX heritage (shorter and wider). One member here has just completed a complete swap of the entire 240SX rear subframe and it's components into the back of his Z (appears to be well done). All the 240SX rear covers are finned, but only a very few were VLSD (HICAS equiped cars). The 240SX R200 can be worked into the Z with work on half-shafts and mounting, but if you decide to take on a project like this you may as well go ahead and use the R230 being it is the same design but stronger (used in the 300ZX).

I just had to pass on a free 240sx diff too!!!!!!

american 240sx cars had a rare vlsd, j spec cars have a really sharp hitting lsd in them, or from what ive seen. If you happen to be walking around an importers clips and parts and see a diff that looks like its been opened before, odds are it has a clutch pack, probably aftermarket if its been opened-from reading the JDM clips-it seems that every fast car has a equally modded braking and suspension setup, its very systematic and has been a consistent trend. This is what ive noticed about front clips from Jspec cars. we just put a 4.88 clutch lsd r200 into a 240sx from a silvia----DANG!!!! its a full two way, it makes ratcheting sounds in u turns, and locks really really really good.

Doing the full rear suspension is about the only way I can see that swap happening to me. I thought about mounting the diff to be kinda easy, but there are numerous differences that make this swap pretty hard.

1. CVs are two long and they have splines on both ends, and a funky bolt pattern that differs even from American to JDM. very strong if you could make it work though, if you want some silvia hubs to try it, you can have them I have a ton of em.

2. Mustache bar holes arent even close, they have an entirely different isolation system where the suspension has bushings and the only bushing ican see for the diff is the coupler in the driveshaft.

If you could make one of these work it would hold up for a long long time, the japanese diffs use stronger cv joints with a better bolting scheme on the ends, and I usually get the diffs for under 300.00USD.

Its just too complicated for me I guess....

I don't see the problem with mustache bar since it holds the diif in same place. You might have clearance problem with finned cover but cover can be changed. I'm not too sure how far off the CV shafts are but that can be replaced with zxt unit I think. I'll know moew when I do it on my car I guess

I'm using a complete 240sx subframe and will be using the diff from a 300ZX TT but since I'm using an early 240sx subframe I need to modify it to accept the diff.

DSCN3486.sized.jpg

DSCN3484.sized.jpg

DSCN3495.sized.jpg