HybridZ

Bad carb, bad bad bad carb

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Well, I was tinkering with my SU's today now that I have a carb balancer/adjuster/synchronizer doohicky again. Unfortunately, these carbs still arent balanced! They are running much stronger than before I took the intake apart, but still arent even close to balanced. Then, on top of that, I reached in with my finger to see if the piston was sticking or something and found that the front carb had a pool of gasoline in the bottom. :( I dont know anything about these carbs except how to adjust them and such. Cant get them to balance, have a pool of gasoline in the carb that wont flow (gee, I wonder why it wont flow), and dont know what to do. Is there anything that I can check/adjust with this carb so I wont have to rebuild it? I really dont want to dump another $100+ into this engine when I wont be keeping it! Not ready to start my swap yet either. GRrrr.

• 1 year later...
Check your inlet pressure

then check your float bowl

then check your cutoff valve attached to the float bowl (don't know the exact look of an SU never did one)

then take the carb apart and rebuild it with new seals' date=' it's leaking bro. :twak:[/quote']

Not so fast.. :lol: May not be leaking, just has a float set wrong. I was tinkering with mine last weekend, and ended up with a pool of gas in the front carb. The fuel level in the nozle (if you take the dome off and piston out, you will see it right in the middle) is controled by the float level. If the floats are adjusted too high, too much fuel will come out of the nozle and end up pooling in there. Quite the show when the engine backfires and spits it out in your face too.. :icon8: <----thats what I looked like There really isn't much to an SU carb, and a rebuild is quite simple if needed, but I'd check the float's first.