HybridZ

Is there a supercharger that will fit???

I am going to swap a chevy 383 into my 240. I have been looking for a supercharger that will fit under the stock hood. I am trying to make this the ultimate sleeper. I have seen superchargers for TPI engines that look pretty low but if I dont have to go TPI then I dont want to. thanks.

Guest the_dj

TPI is horrible! Makes me maaaad. fmad.gif

I want the Holley Stealth Ram, but according to my measurements it will require a 2" cowl or scoop.

Sam

Guest zfan

I do not know about fitting under a stock hood but my friend has a 280Z with a super charged 383700r4 combo. You better be hanging on for dear life because it runs 10's and is also a mild cammed docile sounding car.

But when you want power WOW!! He raced a super charged 5 liter cobra that runs mid 11's and the Mustang guy about crapped his pants. It was not even close. Mustang Boy was embarassed. He!He!

Mike

Guest 2002sentraSER

vortech has a superchager out now for carbed engines check it out looks phat as hell and it says that it sound not affect hood clearnace take a look

I just found a procharger that will fit...looks pretty good. its a turbine supercharger which I dont know much about but they say it can handle boost in the 20's. I looked at vortec's webpage and they dident seem to have one for a misc chevy 350 only specific ones. so I think the procharger is the way to go.

• 2 years later...
I do not know about fitting under a stock hood but my friend has a 280Z with a super charged 383700r4 combo. You better be hanging on for dear life because it runs 10's and is also a mild cammed docile sounding car.

But when you want power WOW!! He raced a super charged 5 liter cobra that runs mid 11's and the Mustang guy about crapped his pants. It was not even close. Mustang Boy was embarassed. He!He!

Mike

I'd like to hear more about this car. Hell, pictures would be great.

Thanks!!

Last weekend I watched Horsepower on Spike TV and they did a buildup on a smallblock using a new Gayle Banks twin turbo bolt on kit that looked like it would tuck in nicely under the Z hood. When I saw it I had the usual thoughts "man I'd bet that'll fit in the Z". For induction they decided to use a multi point injection system with a double barrel throttle body located where the carb would normally be, I believe it was the edelbrock version but don't quote me. They discussed the optional intercooler, acessory brackets, etc. I haven't looked on the net for any info on this yet, but it may be an option you might consider. Anyways just throwing it out there FWIW. Have a good one guys.

I just found a procharger that will fit...looks pretty good.

Before I installed a TT383 into my 240 Z, I obtained brochures and measurements for their carbed 350 kit. I determined that there would be interference between the strut tower and the rear portion of the centrifugal supercharger housing. In addition, a bubble would have to be fabricated into the hood to provide clearance for the upper portion of the housing.

However, the reverse rotation Vortech unit for the Corvette LT4 setup places the housing closer to the center of the engine and lower into the bay. I almost ordered this kit but then a friend gave me his turbos to use.

Hope this helps.

Hanns

I have a 383 presently under my hood, and runs nice Iam building a Vortech supercharged LT1 and from what I can measure it should fit.

Problems I have had is eliminating the A/C and power steering. I will acid bath the motor this week I have ported the heads and intake, and have large headers to flow the exhaust.

As mentioned the Vortech carb's supercharger should fit I presently have the Team G intake with a 1" Nos plate, Holley 750 DP, Holley air cleaner with 3" element and it fits under the stock hood.

Depends on the motor mounts u used I think. In hindsight I wish I had gotten the Carb'd Vortech setup alot easier but ....

Stock Hood

Motor

I should point out that I can not use juice or I melted the halfshafts. This next beast will be tubbed and have a Ford 9" so as far as stealth goes yes you will have a stock hood, but to hook the power the stock differential will go one way or the other.

I have heard many taking more than I tried to put down, but I could NOT get it to hold my little 383 and a 125 shot at the track. On the street it would take it because it didn't hook. When it hooked it would last 3 - 4 inches.

The 260 in pic weighs 2830 with me in it as raced that day, my next 280 should weigh < 2500 with close to 450 RWHP. So should be in the high 6's after I get it all setup

• 3 months later...

9325100_0155.JPG

Not cheap but this is my engine build for the HOLLY 144 blower at 6lbs. boost.

Heavy duty 4-bolt block with Ductile iron caps.

Balanced and honed with torque plates.

Block resurfaced/equal decked.

Line honed with ARP studs.

Forged steel crankshaft 3.480 stroke.

Forged TRW blower pistons 4.030/ plasma-moly rings.

ENGLE custom hydraulic roller camshaft.

Special 441 Chevy heads ported/polished.

Stainless valves/bronze guides/hardened exhaust seats/Z28 springs.

LARRY

• 1 year later...

I would personally skip the vortech and see about getting the procharger under there. Procharger is much better built and I think its about the same price if not a lil less.

titanium - your stock block should be able to take lower boost settings, hell, you could get it into the teens with the right tuning.

Jack46 - you really think you can get a 450hp car into the 6's??? At 2500lbs? If you can do that, you can do anything. I know 740 hp civic hatches that weigh less than that running 9s.

Scott

i would assume that he's talking about 1/8th mile times......there's no way 450whp would put a 2,500lb car into the 6's in the quarter mile. it's not physically possible. :)

6's in the quarter and it wouldn't even be a z anymore. it would be a tube-frame dragster chassis with a 'glass shell that resembles a z. :mrgreen:

i would assume that he's talking about 1/8th mile times......there's no way 450whp would put a 2' date='500lb car into the 6's in the quarter mile. it's not physically possible. :)

6's in the quarter and it wouldn't even be a z anymore. it would be a tube-frame dragster chassis with a 'glass shell that resembles a z. :mrgreen:[/quote']

Like this http://www.racingjunk.com/exec/ca/view/548926/1970-Datsun-240Z.html

BTW thats one FAST Z

yeah, about those 6's, I was thinkin about that later on after I posted and was like DOH! What could that formulate into 1/4 mile times?

That procharger, wouldn't you still want to intercool that, I mean, even tho its running on a belt instead of the exhaust fumes, its still gotta get hot, right? Maybe a bit of methanol injection could cure that. I know 10 lbs on my roots keeps cool with a bit of methanol. IDK

Scott