HybridZ

too much hp for chasis?

If I were to have 600+ hp in my 240z what would I have to do to the chasis to keep it from twisting? or is it fine stock? I am planning to get a 383 with a supercharger and the crat 383s I have found push 465hp out of the box with only 9.1:1 comp ratio. also with that amout of hp how wide of tires do you guys think I will need to hook up?

If you plan on running that kind of HP you should

put a full cage in the car along with reinforcing the subframes. Also the stock rear suspension will not hold up for long to that kind of power.

You need to look into heavily modding the back half and even maybe a solid axle. Are you planning on having this as a track only car or do you plan on cruizing the streets?.. If you plan on cruizing the streets you will have more than enough power with a mild 383 to smoke just about anything on the road... You may want to look at some of the websites that can calculate performace based on HP/Weight ratios. I am sure that you will find that a 350 Hp engine will propel the 240 to some pretty impressive speeds. I think www.carmath.com is one of them. I think Kevin Shasteen and and Grumpy probably know the formulas by heart... My car was aprox 464HP

and it was a handfull at WOT... Not many cars could keep up with her on the streets either..

Myron

Guest Aaron

Search this site for some posts by a member called 1fastz. He is in the HP range you are talking about. Also look in the chassis forum for information on sub frame connectors, chassis stiffening, and roll cages. The topic has come up many times.

Attention Houston, we have a maniac on our hands here...send Darius for intercept!

Welcome to the board!

With those kinds of numbers,if you truly need that knd of power, you will be wanting subframe connectors and, preferably, a 8-10 point cage that ties into the frame rails front and back. This should keep front to rear chassis rotation at bay. Now hooking up is a whole other deal my friend. If you want to be able to USE this power in drag racing..you should probably be tubbing the car. Also start thinking about converting the rear to a solid axle such as a Ford 9" if you want any time at the track without breakage or hassle from the tech inspectors. These cars are so light that it doesnt take much to shock the tires into a smoking frenzy..even with a MILD smallblock. You are talking about a 383 (torque!) with a supercharger (TORQUE!!). If you just want an insane street car that can burn the balonies at freeway speeds..then flare the car and squeeze the biggest tires in there you can (maybe 295's), BUT, you better know how to DRIVE or you will kill yourself with that kinda of power on radials if you plan on using even 2/3's the engines potential.

Before you start the project, make sure you know exactly what you want from the car..and EXACTLY what it takes to get it.

Do you want a balls to the wall drag car that can click off 9 second timeslips? If so, you are on the right track, but you have ALOT of work ahead of you to make the car use this engines power effectively.

Do you want a FAST street car that can whoop on just about anything that pulls up at the local stoplight? If so, 400HP is MORE than enough for this. 400HP at the crank in a 240Z that hooks up will run an 11 second 1/4 mile. Thats faster than 99.9% of whats on the road..even alot of supercars. You can get by on the independent rear suspension and stock wheel wells too. Alot less money, work and time.

Make no bones about it..a 600HP stroker SBC in a Z, with the right chassis, will be a VERY fast drag car! We have a few members with engines in this range. Two are tubbed and run in the 8-9 sec range at the track. The third is a street car you might have seen..owned by Darius. Very modified, very expensive and VERY entertaining to watch on video! :D If you havent already, you should have a look at his videos. His setup is very similar to what you are talking about. I dont think there isnt a member here that doesnt drool over the sheer power of Darius' car, but knowing what he put into the car to make it do what it does, I kow its out of my price range :rolleyes:

No matter what your angle and final recipe, theres lots of knowledge here to help you achive your goals. Just set them realistically. Not doing so is the leading reason why project cars never get finished

Best of luck!!

Jason