HybridZ

"Grinding" transmission noise at Idle.

Guest 280-Monzie

Guest 280-Monzie

I searched the lists for this one, but found nothing that applied completely. When the engine is running, I have a rusty sounding noice comming from the transmission. When I apply the clutch, it stops.

My guess is that it is the throwout bearing, but the transmission does not act up in any other way than the noise. It grips and releases nicely and I do not have any problem with changing gears, up or down.

I do have a similar noice when the car is driven, but more like the noice a car makes in reverse.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is this a sign of more trouble down the road? I like the transmission, but the noice concerns me.

The tranny is the original fourspeed for a -75-280.

The throwout bearing engages when you push in the clutch, so that is not your problem. I think you have worn countershaft bearings, as do I. :( This is very common on the Nissan trannys. If it hasn't already, what should happen next IME is that the tranny should start popping out of 2nd on decel.

I have a rebuild kit, and was told that it is not really that hard to rebuild it, so that is my plan. I need to get my @$$ in the garage already!!!

Good luck with yours!

Jon

Guest 280-Monzie

Thank you, I have put the car to bed for the vinter, might do some work on it if I get some time over, I just needed to make sure what I had to prioritize. Transmission will have to wait.

One more thing' date=' I've driven my Z for something like 35K with the noise before it started popping out of gear. This is with monthly autox and a few track days a year for 3 years.

Jon[/quote']