HybridZ

What's the weight difference?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Been meaning to ask this one for a while... anyone know how much weight swapping to a turbo motor adds, over an N/A motor? I weighed my '72 240 about two months before the turbo swap, and got a weight of 2320lbs, w/o me in the car, about 6 gals of gas, and tools and a floor jack and spare in the car. I figure I coulda had it down to about 2280 if I pulled the extras out. How much more should it weigh now with turbo motor?

Guest bastaad525

I care ;) I'm thinking it adds up to at least 50 lbs... that is a significant difference. hasn't anyone done before and after weighing? I'll probably get around to weighing it again soon but figured someone here must have done this already.

Guest bastaad525

Nope, not a concern, just a curiosity. The weight of the car in general is always a big point for me, that's why I wanted a 240 so badly, to have such a light starting point... when it weighed in just shy of 2300lbs I was grinning ear to ear. I guess I'll just have to go get it weighed again :-P I woulda guessed someone here would have already done this *shrug*

Guest szlash280z

the turbocharger itself only weighs 20lbs, the ex manifold is lighter by itself than the NA ex manifold, but it is heavier when you have the turbo installed on it. I don't know how much the intake system of a carb'ed Z weighs, but all in all, my car probably weighs the same with my turbo engine vs the old engine. I don't have an AC compressor on there anymore so that cancels the extra weight from the turbo. stock for stock, you might gain a maximum of 25lbs or so.

If you're running an intercooler you'll have to weight it anyway. The amount of additional weight is dependent on to many factors like type of intercooler, type/size/length/gauge of pipes, type of exhaust, size of turbo and what's been removed. Get my point? :wink:

The bigger question isn't the total weight, as much as where the weight is. A turbo adds more weight to the front of the car then the back and usually more to the drivers side then the passengers. This effects cornering and breaking ability much more then straight line acceleration. If weight is really a concern, you should get the weight for each corner and see what your weight distribution is. Moving your battery will make more of change then taking the equivalent weight of the battery out entirely.

This is my take on weight from a road racers perspective.

Have you ever heard the phrase "it takes money to make money"? Instead of think about how much the turbo system weighs, think about how much extra power you will need to not notice the weight. My car puts out 1 hp per 8 pounds, so to overcome ?50? extra pounds, the turbo would have to make about 6 hp over your n/a engine. :roll:

Do you think you can afford the weight gain? :oops:

Guest bastaad525

LOL guys guys guys!!! Seriously this is NOT about "oh no my car has gained weight now it's actually SLOWER!!" or anything like that!!! I just want to know the weight!!

It's like this... I love when some ricer asks about my car... "yeah it's a 240 with a turbo motor" "Oh turbo? Damn that must be fast, how much power does it put down?" "around 200hp" "LOL that aint sh*t!!" "yeah but the car only weighs 2300lbs :twisted: " (other guy shuts up as the math takes over and it dawns on him ... probably for the 100th time, that his car really is slow and that he should keep his mouth shut).

That's all, just was looking for a number for reference, and am being too cheap of a bastard to go pay to have it weighed again... and figured someone here would have already done it, but I guess not. No big deal!