HybridZ

240z '73 Emission Testing phx, AZ </\>

Guest dvlax28

Guest dvlax28

this week i am getting a 73 240z with 280zx engine and custom intake, cam, and 4-barrel carb from California...

i called today monday 11/3 and talked to emission technician and he said 1967 and newer vehicles require emission testing...idle and at 25 mph tests. the guy says the emission cant go over 400ppm Hydrocarbons and max 5% Carbon Monoxide.

i thought it was the 70's that were exempt from emission, but this guy says the last year for emission-free was 1967. this car that im getting has no catalytic converter or air pump.

first: is this correct for phoenix arizona?

second: what can i do if i DO need to pass this emission, the owner says it will definitely not pass because it has custom work done and the 4-barrel carb.

i need help, i was sure it was 74ish that started needed testing, this is gonna mess with my car dream. i need help QUICK because im going down this saturday november 8th to pick it up and haul it back to phoenix from San Pedro, Cali. im renting a trailer that the car can sit on and be bolted down and i will be hauling it with a truck to save me some 300 miles on my soon-to-be Z. please help with if this is all correct and what i have to do. thanks a ton

jAsOn

Guest dvlax28

yeah so Arizona is a little slow, but in the mean time, my '73 still has to pass.

the guy that im buying it from has been testing it, and having a catalytic converter put in, then right after have it taken out and replaced with a pipe like normal.

i just talked to another Z guy and he says that putting in a converter would "noticably" reduce the power of my Z.

i dont got the money to do the catalytic cheat every test, so are there big converters that will let more air flow, not suppressing the exhaust flow from the engine? this stupid law needs to be passed, historic vehicles dont contribute that much to pollution, its the giant smoke stacks and factories in industrial areas.

jAsOn

Guest dvlax28

also, how often does an emission test have to happen? and how much would it run me to add a catalytic converter to pass emissions? and what else would i need to pass? please dont tell me i have to tune down my car :(

I don't know why you guys are talking about putting a cat on it. It isn't required or needed to pass. 74 and older they don't check for equipment, don't open the hood. It is also just an idle test not the "EVIL" IM 240 that can be a much harder if not running in top shape. Anyone with an exhaust analyzer can get it through.

Guest dvlax28

sweet, you're in scottsdale, im in ahwatukee. so yeah the owner says it "will never pass emissions" just like that. it has no air pump, cat converter, and its got a few upgrades like cam, intake, 4-barrel carb. real fast but probably spits out some pollution. where can i get info about the 74 and older not checking for parts, and just at idle? if i can really pass without doing anything, a lot of my problems will be solved. please any information about a '73 240z with racing parts and no cat possibly passing emissions i could really use

jAsOn

hopefully soon getting a '73 240z w/ 280zx engine, new intake, cam, 4-barrel carb. hopefully.

it has no air pump, cat converter, and its got a few upgrades like cam, intake, 4-barrel carb. real fast but probably spits out some pollution. .

They are not required to have cats. I have never had a smog pump on any Z and never had problems with it. Unless the cam is silly big it shouldn't hurt you to much. The 4 barrel isn't a bad thing as more people would know what to do with it to get you through than with SU's. I would make sure your timing is to specs and run it through.I can't remember if they check the gas cap though. When you go, there is a sign that lists by year as to what test you have to do. You get one re-test for free and only the IM 240 is $27, yours will be cheaper. Don't sweat it.

Guest dvlax28

alright the owner just did the clutch work and electrical work like promised, and he even tuned down the carbs a little for me, and if all goes well he will call on friday/saturday and hopefully the plan of getting back sunday will still be on, because i dont want to wait another week, so wish me luck that i get it this sunday, only a couple days from today

jAsOn

I wasn't going to ask but I feel impelled. A carb needs to be set to were the the motor runs best. If it has proper A/F through the revs and under load and at idle you can't just turn it down and have it run cleaner. I doubt he changed the mains but if it idles good and he turned the idle jets down, leaning it out, it will fail just as bad as if it was to rich. So if it does fail, don't be too discouraged theres alot of ex. analyzers out there.

Guest Confederado120

Hey,

I think the owner is confusing Ca smog standards. To Az. Actually in California 74 and older is exempt from smog tests. If Az only has a tailpipe test, no underhood visual inspection. Shouldnt really be a problem to pass. Myself, I would not put a Cat Conv in a vehicle not originally equipped. Lack of insulation, saftey issue.

Walt