HybridZ

3.7lsd into a 83 n/a U-joints?

Thumper

Ok I am going to be swappipng the 3.7lsd into my 83' 280zx non-turbo in the next few weeks and was wondering what will I need for the swap? I am 99% sure that the axles I have are u-joint so I will need cv axles from a turbo 280zx. So besides those what will I need? Driveshaft? Special diff mount made? Also will the cv shafts fit into my rear axle stub and wheel beering assembly? (a.k.a hub) TIA

So I need the yoke off of the 280zx turbo driveshaft or the 300zx driveshaft? I would guess 300zx since both the non-turbo and turbo have a r-200. And you are talking about the axle nut that holds the axle into the hub and has a pin on it correct. Or is there one on the driveshaft? Thanks for your help.

I'm not talking about the driveshaft at all. I'm talking about the yoke on the diff. The huge nut in the front of the diff holds it on. You need to take that huge nut off, pull the yoke, put it on the new diff, and put the nut back on. Lots of people will replace this nut, but I think it's OK to reuse if you torque it down hard and use loctite. I don't know the proper torque spec, but as I was informed here a couple of months ago, there is no crush sleeve in the Nissan diffs so find the right torque, hit the nut with that torque and it should be good to go.

Jon

Sorry about that I just looked at my haynes manual I understood what u meant :oops: K i will get axles and the flange that connect the axles to the differential. On the r-180 they are called yokes and on the r-200 they are called flanges. :D I will be getting both of these off of a 83' turbo 280zx. Wow this is alot simpler than on my previous cars I've worked on. 91 sentra, 92 jetta, 86 mr2. All had the axles hooked directly to transmission. Thanks for you help jon.

I still think you're looking at the sides of the differential. I'm talking about the front of the diff where the driveshaft bolts to. There is a circular flange, some call it a yoke, some a flange, that bolts to the pinion shaft. You need to switch the pinion flange or yoke, whichever you prefer to call it.

Jon

I guess i'm just way off here let me see if I get this. So on the front of the differential there is a Companion flange that has a "pinion nut" on it. This flange connects the driveshaft to the differential. So what I need to do is switch my flange off of my r-200 onto the 3.7lsd. This way the 3.7lsd diff will connect to my driveshaft. Now back to the axles. I have the u-joint axles. Do I or do I not need to replace my axles. If I do replace them I should also get the flanges that hold the axles to the diff. Do I also need the flange the holds the axle to the hub. Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Ted Schmidt

Yes, you have the pinion flange stuff correct now.

I know if you want to run U-joints, you can grab the side yokes off of your existing R200. I've done that much myself.

I THINK if you want to run the CV's that the CV shafts have the side yoke part built in, so you would need both CV shafts and to bolt them to the stub axle on the wheel end, you would need the companion flange. I'm not sure if you need the stub axle AND the companion flange. I'll leave that question to someone else.

Good luck with the project! :-D

Jon

doesnt that big pinion nut need like 200lb torque?

that stuff scares me, the consequences i mean. I remember one night my buddy couldnt get enough torque down on a nut that needed similar torque on some solid axle car. He had to go to a diesel place and have them hit it with the 3/4 impact.

Hey guys thanks for all your input. VinhZXT I understand that I won't need the cv shafts but I think I might as well since I"m rebuilding the rear end anyway. My power goal is 300-350hp. And running in the 12's. I have read that the u-joint shafts don't like this power and I've got a few 280zxt in the junkyards where I live, so I'm just going to grap a pair. Thanks again

Ted Schmidt