HybridZ

2 shop I/C install=brains&brawn, or idiot blowing car up

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi. I read under other posts various opinions on whether putting an I/C on w.o boost controller/computer/etc might produce power/cause lean/ping or detonation...I'm not sure what the answer is, can anyone reiterate?

Onto the plan or problem..I've gotten the NPR I/C I wanted (apparently from a similar 83 280ZXT), and have contracted with a local shop, Custom Tubes of Woburn, to do the I/C, plumbing and 3" exhaust install. Since that installer is quite good at that work, and is closer to my house after the 5 days of having my car for this, I figured I would farm out the "brains" work-Greddy Profec B, HKS computer, fuel pump and progressive fuel unit to a racing based Z familiar outfit in further away NH, Avalon Racing.

Apart from my hope that the latter installer doesn't get too peeved that I took the basic I/C installation to another shop (being that most shops don't like getting involved in piecing together/apart another shop's work), I am wondering if, in the time that I operate the car without the electronics..say a few days..would I be endangering the engine in any way..detonation/heat/etc? The other item I don't see described fully anywhere is what I've heard called a pop-off valve...I only heard of one seller who custom designed his, he said the engine would blow up without one. I am sure the I/C +plumbing installer wouldn't know anything about such a part..is it necessary, who makes/sells it, and should it be put on as soon as the I/C goes on, even without boost?

John

Running the intercooler w/o any other upgrades will not have any harmful effect on the motor.

The other installer shop shouldnt be pissed, no reason why the would be. As far as they know youre simply doing this one step at a time, and have had the ic on there for years. Also, the stuff you say Avalon Racing is going to install is completely seperate from the ic install, either could be done independly of the other.

As for the pop off valve, it looks like this http://viewyachts.com/chris/yellowz/9803/question.jpg its hte big thing in middle.

On a factory turbo with no mods, adding an IC can only increase your safety margin. The reason is the amount of air into the engine does not change. The boost pressure is regulated at the turbo compressor housing, and the IC is installed after that point. You are not increasing boost or air mass, just reducing the temperature of the air.

Oh, did I already say YOU WILL NOT HURT THE ENGINE BY ADDING AN INTERCOOLER? :P

Get IC installed first, and then bring it to Avalon to get the boost controller etc. installed.

BTW, Custom Tubes did my IC plumbing, and did a great job. Have him use the thin wall steel, it's a lot cheaper, and not all that heavy. That's what he used on my car.

Jeff at Avalon is excellent also.

Pete

Guest jjohart

I'm still having trouble telling the difference between a BOV (which I have in hand, a DSM gen 1), and the "pop off valve". Could someone explain, and tell me where they sell them, or are they custom made by the plumbing installer, or the computer/brains department for my installation (83 280ZXT).

John

I'm still having trouble telling the difference between a BOV (which I have in hand' date=' a DSM gen 1), and the "pop off valve". Could someone explain, and tell me where they sell them, or are they custom made by the plumbing installer, or the computer/brains department for my installation (83 280ZXT).

John[/quote']

A BOV is installed before the throttle body to vent air pressure when you close the throttle - it prevents damage to the turbo from stalling it. A pop-off is mounted in the manifold and is designed to vent "excessive" boost pressure - it's a safety device to prevent engine damage in case the wastegate sticks closed.

I can't believe I put the words "excessive" and "boost" in the same sentence... :bonk:

SLEEPER - I'm ashamed of you using those words together like that! :nono::wink: One thing to add to Sleepers info - the BOV, when venting due to the throttle plate being snapped closed, will allow the turbo to continue to spin (stay spooled) at close to the same speed as it was while the TP was open which will put you right back near the boost pressure you were at, in the next gear. Me personally, the BOV was one of the best performance mods i did so far... other than my recent nose job (crash and burn!) :roll: And oh yeah, one more thing...the POV is the thing that should be removed and plugged :twisted: hahahehe. Sorry (wink)