HybridZ

Twin Turbo, 383 Chevy.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I am not sure.

I just want to go as fast as I can with the stock IRS. If that ends up being low 11's or maybe even high 10's, I'll be happy.

I was intending on building a stout short block 383 stroker combo, decent heads, then hitting it with a large two stage nitrous setup.

But I do like the idea of just having the power on tap all the time. So a single or twin turbo setup comes to mind. But I didn't want the hassle or cost of an EFI setup either. So, I starting searching and found that you have a proven setup while still using a carb, and no intercooler to boot.

So, at this time I am at a toss up. I have already began searching ebay and such for a pair of turbos, but in all honestly I don't have a clue on what size to buy if I am running a twin setup OR what size for a single turbo setup. Or even which would be better in a 280z w/a Chevy 383 stroker. Some people I know have suggested a pair of T-3/T-4 for a twin turbo setup or a T-76 or bigger for a single turbo setup.

Any thoughts on this?

I already have a decent, stock headed, hyd cam, 383 stroker under the hood now. It doesn't have any problems dealing with the local Camaro's, Corvette's, EVO/STi's, or any other local import. However, the motor is mild and was really only placed in the car in order to get some suspension issues taken care of, plus the car will be receiving a 10 point cage in the near future.

So now I am collecting and building the next 383.....

Since you have already have taken care of some of the fittment issues, I think I am going to "bite" on some of your ideas. Prime example would be your exhaust manifolds. I am highly interested in seeing pictures of the rest of the exhaust piping and the routing.

What size are your turbo's?

Any suggestions you have as to turbo size, etc, or any other topic, please mention it. I am wide open to your ideas and thoughts.

Thank you for your time.

What size are your turbo's?

They are 14 year old Rajays' date=' 370 E 80's, that I'm borrowing from a friend.

[b']I'm using twins because I like the way they balance the look of the engine department.[/b] But if I had to buy the turbos, I would have used a large single to save money and to allow a much easier installation. Then a front mount intercooler could also have been mounted.

You would not like the looks of my exhaust system. In order to avoid carving up the inner fender sheetmetal, the dual 3" exhaust runs below the front crossmember after the down-pipes. Then the exhaust runs over the rear differential, through large Flowmaster mufflers and out the back. The exhaust is oval pipe which gives some clearance but I always scrape over speed bumps. Driveways and dips in the road are not generally a problem. Even if you buy used parts, turbos,wastegates, blowoff valves, downpipes, timing retard devices, big fuel pumps and fuel regulators will all add up.

Before adding the turbos the Z ran 11.15 @ 123 mph, regularly. Keep that in mind while saving money for the turbo system.

Hanns

Hey Hanns,

Been a while, hope you're doing well!

If you were to do it all over again, I'd still tell you to go twin, it's just so sexy you know?

You can probably still use intercoolers if you can rotate your turbos, check out the pix

of the Z with the TT Q45 engine. But...you're not trying to go any faster are you???

Owen

But...you're not trying to go any faster are you???

Owen

Owen,

Nice to hear from you.

If I ever get my timing and fuel delivery figured out, I will go faster. But that means I will only get kicked off the dragstrip more often because I don't have a certified cage and competition license.

How is your awesome Z doing?

Hanns

Guest bastaad525

Hey can someone relink to the pics of Turbo Meister's car? They are all red x's now. Or just post a link to a webpage if there is one? I would love to get another look at the setup, and have a few friends who are very interested as well.

Hey can someone relink to the pics of Turbo Meister's car? They are all red x's now.

The photos were taken by Hybrid240z. He might be able to repost them, if he still has them. I also have several pics in my photo gallery and would be willing to take additional specific photos if anyone is interested.

Hanns

• 1 month later...
I too would really like to see the pics from before. If you have a cd burner I would send you a prepaid padded envelope and disk.

Have you looked at the pics in my photo gallery on this site?

If you need pics of specific parts or installed equipment I can take the pics and e-mail them to you or I can download them onto a CD as you suggested.

Hanns