HybridZ

Zoom Zoom

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Well, I got to play with a Mazda Protege late tonight. Looked like a brand new one. Too bad I didnt know that they came with turbos :?

Short shot down a backstreet to the freeway, he couldnt touch me there or getting on the onramp (at least I can out-handle him), got onto the freeway and he starts coming up on me finally so I got on it full throttle. Pulled away easily up to freeway speed. I thought it was a Lancer at first so I felt pretty good. Let him catch up with me and saw the Mazda emblem on the back. Thought, not too bad for a Mazda. Then we hit a wide open stretch and both got on the gas. Damn thing top ended me. I had it floored and he gained on me and then passed me as I started to back off (getting a little too fast for not being at a track). Thought it was weird though that he couldnt keep up at the lower speeds.

So I looked up info for new Mazdas and determined it was a protege, and they come with turbos. Which is comforting to know when you are getting passed by a 4-door. Guess it's time for my engine swap :wink:

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
it was one of these right?

Yep, I can confirm that, even though I didnt see that end of the car for long. :oops:

I kinda figured it was a turbo because it sounded a little turbo-like and had like a 3" exhaust. I guess it's just one way to get to know your competition.

Is that kind of performance typical for turbo cars? I just thought it was wierd that he didnt seem to have enough power until he was well into the top-end. Maybe it was a combination of that, and this OD gear ratio in the Z's is so crazy.

My friend recently bought one of these. Nothing like the srt-4 but not too bad. He put on a $20 MBC we made from home depot. Turned up boost to 12-13psi and he ran a 14.3 at the track. We did nothing else not even and intake. So defiantly room to grow. But it still is a protege. I drove a 96 with the 1.5l auto for about 2 months back in high school. 0-60 in like 11sec. 1/4 21sec. The only cars I could beat were the soccer moms next to me in their sport utility and only if they didn't know I was racing :(