HybridZ

A WEALTH OF TECH TIPS FOR OUR Zs...

Corzette

Good site thanks CZ.

Moving to San Angelo from Japan Hmmm... hope you have air conditioning for that mean machine. I watched my daughter play soccer against the collage team down there. Figure it gets real hot during the summer. I we hit 105 regularly during the summer in OKC.

Good time to retire from the Marines. My niece is heading for the middle east in three weeks for the Army. We pray alot.

Len

The stub axle shaft has two flat areas (opposite each other) at the tip of the axle where the threads are. The stub axle nut is peened or it’s top lip is bent over to conform with the flat areas on the stub axle shaft.

The later ZX’s (and Maxima’s) used a standard lock nut with the plastic insert.

If your nut is not peened then someone may have previously changed it to the later type lock nut.

I just finished putting CVs out of an 81 turbo into my 79 ZX. Using a Dremel and a small cut off wheel, I VERY carefully cut the top of the nut away. I went very slowly and started cutting on the nut at about a 45 degree angle on the sides with the flat areas. I was very careful to try to avoid damaging the threaded area even though I was going to use the 81 stub axles instead. I bought the stub axles/companion flanges from Kim Blough at Idaho Z cars (great service, great advice) to go with the CVs I got from Z and ZX Parts (Gary Kazandjian in Glendale, CA). My 79 (GL model with an auto trans from the factory) had an R180 and I bought an R200 from a place in Tennessee. Some advice I would offer to people who aren't real experienced in doing this type of thing is to buy the whole suspension/differential out of one car. Doing it piecemeal added a lot of questions to the equation for a first timer like me. It also ended up taking me a lot longer with parts from several cars. Just getting them all shipped to me was an adventure - the guy I bought the R200 (NOT Kim or Gary) ended up shipping the wrong ratio R200 (he admitted he screwed up) to California to get my Quaife installed (purchased through Ross at Modern Motorsport). That screw up added amost a month to the project. I also suffered a very bad case of "while I'm at it..." (cleaned, sanded, painted all of the parts with POR-15, aluminum driveshaft, stainless steel brake lines). I took it for my first, very short test drive over the weekend and, knock loudly on wood, didn't hear any disturbing noises. :-D Not having ever done this before, I had a fair amount of doubts about my ability to pull it off. And since I haven't driven the car hard yet, I still have lots of doubts. But I also feel a nice sense of accomplishment. :D

John