HybridZ

Daily Drive V8

Guest the_dj

I make 193rwhp and it is fully driveable in all weather conditions. It's not as fast as maybe I'd like, but it'll move and the torque feels GREAT!

Sam

Guest Anonymous

I have a supposed 250 hp on my stock chevy V8 in my 240 and I'd say its fairly quick. I dont have performance numbers, but if I had to guess I'd say high 13's (maybe low 14's but thats with quite a bit of wheel spin if I really were to punish it) but the 0-60 feels very quick, I'd say 6 sec or under. I run a T56 behind it and stock 3.54 gears. Also its a good starting point, swap heads later and a cam and your in the low 13's high 12's. I pulled down 23.3 mpg on a 770 mile trip on a 4 tank average, I think if I had jetted a bit leaner and not tried the top end a few times I could have gotten closer to 25 mpg. I never found the top end, got chicken since its a fairly stock chassis, but let me say at 120 it was still picking up at 3000 rpms. :eek:

Regards,

Lone

So, Lone, you do like the 250 HP with T56 combination. What carb do you use? That is what I am thinking. If I am not racing the car, I would rather pay less for the engine(I believe you paid $1200 or a little more for your crate engine, right?)And save the money for the other things. True that you can get 400 HP, but it is a waste when it is only a daily drive. It is probably not a good idea to pay a few grants more for those 150 extra horse power that I never use on the highway.

Guest 2002sentraSER

garry where did you find a crate motor that cheap with that much power and does that come with carbs and an alternator if so do you have a link for it and are they stocked with engines

Guest Anonymous

I'm running a 1850 holley 600 vacuum secondary on it on top of a weiand stealth dual plane. Yeah I paid right around 1300.00 at my local (at the time) chevy dealer in sacramento, scoggins dicky has them for usually about 12xx.00 can't recall the exact price but its cheap for a long block with pan and valve covers and timing cover. Its just a plain jane goodwrench motor nothing fancy and it makes a great daily driver IMHO. It has torque right off idle and runs out of steam at about 4.5k-5k but thats ok, short shift it and ride the torque. The six speed is pretty nice, shifts well, first is a little low, but you can easily start in second if you are wanting to race someone, its easier as it gets you into third fairly quickly and thats its best gear, it flat gets gone in third. Its mild by comparison to some of the monsters on this site, but its fast enough to get me in jail if I so desired and it pulls away from most traffic rather easily. My favorite part is a slow freeway onramp and meeting 65 mph traffic in a few blinks of an eye... :D

Regards,

Lone

Think about the Z-28's & Trans Ams that run around with 305-320 HP and how they are the bad boys. Those porkers weigh in around 3,500 lbs vs 2,800 for a 280Z or maybe 2,500 for a 240Z. If you target about the same HP you can run a reasonabley mild engine with lots of reliability and, believe it or not , the potential for some decent MPG. The new LS-1/T-56 Corvettes can get 27 MPG on the highway. That is why I'm using that combination in my 280Z conversion. Unfortunately it is just started so I won't be able to start developing any performance data for at least 6 months.