HybridZ

Drifting video

jhaag

I've been gone for a week so if this has already been posted, my apologies. This drifting video is interesting and drifting, in general, is THE hot topic in the sports/performance magazines of late. I'm glad the people in the video aren't doing these maneuvers on public roads. While drifting isn't the fast way around a track, I'm impressed by the car control. I recently attended my first autocross as a spectator and was fortunate enough to get a ride in a vehicle with slicks. As a newbie, I felt varying amounts of off-the-scale excitement combined with some pure terror. :D Yikes! I want to do this again!

Here is the link to the video. I had to copy and paste the address into my browser in order to view it.

http://www.prospectsolutions.com/~alltrac/imports_drift.wmv

John

I probably am going to sound like the old fart that I am, but, I thought drifting was using power to go sideways under control. Sprint cars drift corners, but not because the driver gets going like hell and then throws the car into it just to be sideways. Speedway motorcycles are crossed up all the way around , but that is because they are way overpowered. So it seems to me that since these guys are coming out of the turns sideways instead of pointing down the straight, they aren't drifting, they are skidding. Somebody please explain where my thinking is flawed. (Just on this subject, there isn't enough room on the net to completely explain my flawed mental processes :-D )

It's still the same thing, just the sport isn't about your time round the track, you are judged for your skill at drifting. My dad used to race sprint cars, and he said the same thing 'I can do that. Hell, I couldn't help but drift, what's so special about some dork in a miata who is sideways way too long?' It's just the new fad. Since there's no real contest, only a judging panels opinion, I don't think it will last. Real competition (like, I dunno, racing?) will outlast drifting.

Still looks awesome though, until some idiot drifts in a school zone and wipes out the side of a minivan fulla kids.

I'm sorry, but the whole time I was watching the video, I kept expecting to see clowns, elephants, and the freak show acts. Drifting is not racing. I may be old school, but all I could think while watching the video was, "What a bunch of idiots."

Sorry, just my opinion. I don't want SCCA sanctioning this stuff. If I want real drifting, I'll watch world rally or World of Outlaws sprint cars.

Someone actually told me that the type of drifting these guys are doing originated in earlier Japanese racing. It was slower, yes, but it became an excellent way to block a following car through a corner.

I view the drifting phenomenon as what snow boarding did for snow sports. It wasn't truly about going to fastest down a hill, but rather who could do some insane tricks with some style thrown in. Don't be mislead, because any good drifter is extremely talented. If you can find a video that shows their footwork with what their car is doing, than you can see how quick and controlled they must be to do some of things they do.

You guys are missing the point here. Sure drifting is not the quickest way around a track or a form of sport recognized by the FIA...BUT....it requires an incredible amount of talent to take a car pushing 300+ and hold it right on the handling edge without losing it, spinning it or crashing it. Now try doing that with someone hangining 12" off your bumper?

My hat goes off to these guys.....truly talented in my books.

I could add more by saying the crowd that is really into road racing always say "drag racing" does not really require any talent. Just rev..drop the clutch and keep the car in a straight line for 1320feet...how hard is that.....so in the same breath how can you not recognize drifting?

Yasin

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Are we calling this racing, or a talent show? I have never considered drifting as racing because drifting is just an example of a car that isnt setup right for the type of driving it is being pushed through. Sure, it is kind of fun to watch, but so is watching fat people fall on their butts when they are slipping on ice.