HybridZ

Removing broken manifold studs??

Garrett76Zt

Hey all,

I have two broken studs in the head, from my exhaust manifold. Whats the easiest/best way to retrieve them? I have seen those reverse threaded screw kit, where you drill a hole in the center of the stud and then back them out using that screw, is this the best way? Did I just answer my own question?

Also is there a better penetrating fluid I can use(brand name) that WD-40?

Thanks in advace all you gearheads.

how much of the stud is sticking out of the head?

if there is 1/2 inch or so, i would use a stud remover on it, they have them at autozone.

or an easy out, or i would just drill it out, and use a heli coil.

pb blaster kicks wd40 @ss.

Garrett,

If you absolutely have to, then use the EZ outs as a last resort. I used my kit not to long ago and will never use them again. To tell you the truth, my last project with the EZ outs was getting an exaust manifold stud out (earlier this summer). The stud broke even with the flange on the header. I figured I would just use an EZ out to take the broke stud out instead of taking off the whole header to get at the little bit of the bolt that was protruding from the head. As I was just starting to back out the stud with the EZ out, for some reason it stopped and I heard SNAP! Ohhhh, did that piss me off... Try as you may, you cannot drill out an EZ out to start another one and be precise about it, so I had to take the header off anyways to get at the little bit of the stud that was protruding from the head. Grabbed it with a ViceGrips and spun it right off :roll:

If you can, try using those reverse style screw extractors thingies (can't remember the exact name of them). Otherwise drill it out and heli coil, try not to bother with the EZ outs, because if one breaks off inside the stud before it starts backing out, you're in for a treat!

!M!

Matt,

hey whats up dude i have expected to see you few times at the track by you were no show you bastard :D j/k. where can we get those heli coils and whats the best size he has two broken studs and they are both on opposite ends of head (very last ones). taking intake and exhaust manifold is no biggie but that damn exhaust leak will drive you crazy :evil: lol.

Ivan

Matt' date='

hey whats up dude i have expected to see you few times at the track by you were no show you bastard :D j/k. where can we get those heli coils and whats the best size he has two broken studs and they are both on opposite ends of head (very last ones). taking intake and exhaust manifold is no biggie but that damn exhaust leak will drive you crazy :evil: lol.

Ivan[/quote']

Bastard? Hey, my steering column started on fire and my lights didn't work! :lol: ... yeah, I read about your adventure going home from Da Grove when Garrett broke his halfshaft. Man that sucks, at least you both made it back fine. Just so you know, I have a trailer, so if you guys break down again at the track, just give me a call. To bad the track wasn't open this weekend, it's going to be in the 60's. I took the Z out last night and tried to blow the engine up, but it just won't let go! Who needs a rev limiter when the valves float :D It's another great night tonight, so I'm taking her out again. If something happens, I'll post pictures.

About the Heli coils, I have never needed to use them (knock on wood), but have seen it done and they hold very well. If you have a Ace Hardware store or a Sears down there, I know they have them. If I remember right, they come in kits with different sizes, if not just bring a bolt with you to match the correct size. Just read the directions on the box to help you out. While you're there, buy the screw extractor set too (NOT the EZ outs). Try them first and if they don't work for you, then you will have to drill the studs out and use the Heli coil. This stuff isn't all that expensive. Let me know what happens.

!M!

Ha! Now he tells me he has a trailer!

Dude, they are planning on keeping the track open as long as the weather is nice. so there is a good chance that there will be some action this weekend. Besides if it was like it was last week, you can make enough runs to break stuff! I suppose I could bring an extra halfshaft and try for some 1.8 60's! Let me know if you're interested, I got nothin goin on on Sat.

Ha! Now he tells me he has a trailer!

:D I could have helped you that night, but someone else would have been driving. I went out club'n and was pretty loaded.

Dude, they are planning on keeping the track open as long as the weather is nice. so there is a good chance that there will be some action this weekend. Besides if it was like it was last week, you can make enough runs to break stuff! I suppose I could bring an extra halfshaft and try for some 1.8 60's! Let me know if you're interested, I got nothin goin on on Sat.

I'm down for that. Besides, you haven't even seen my Z yet :D . Hmmm... I just checked the weather for this Saturday. Says "A few morning showers. Highs in the upper 40s with temperatures nearly steady overnite." We'll see if the weather holds out for us. I don't really look to far ahead on the forcast, because in reality they can only forcast 12 hours in advance and be somewhat accurate. :roll:

!M!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't use easy outs, extractors or what not. They plain suck. The moment you apply any torque on them, they will snap off. My suggesting level the left over of the studs then make a mark at the center and take a small drill and carfully drill the hole into the stud. Use cobalt drills Dewalt sells them at 30 bucks a small set but you can pick them up at 10 on special (this is what I did). Why cobalt because they will not dull as easy and they can drill stainless if you really have to without much work (it get tricky with hasteloy X and inconel and then cobalt is your only salvation, except EDM). Then drill next size and then next size. You might even get lucky and remove the remants of the stud without killing the original thread.

Now if you did fucked up take a dremel with some kind of stone, rougher the better, and start dremelling out the easy out. I had to do that on my Z laying upside down when I easied out the broken bolt (unsuccesfully) on the sway bar :evil: , it sucked ass it was more then PITA. I was very lucky that I successded.

Somthing else to think about here, is how to (hopefully)NOT need to use easy outs, extractors, and/or drill bits to remove broken bolts and studs.

Most broken bolts or studs could be avoided by taking your time and having a little patience.

When you encounter nut or bolt that is rusted or corroded and looks like it may break off. Take your time...use a breaker bar or T-handle to work it back and forth.

Sometimes it`s better to tighten the the troublesome bolt slightly BEFORE trying to remove it. Be sure to use some sort of penetrant first.(NOT WD40 :roll: )

One of the BEST penetrants to use is USED MOTOR OIL. The acids and contaminants from combustion work great for disoving rust and help the oil to work its way into the threads, and it will not evaporate like most other products on the market.

I encountered the exact same problem you are having with the exact same bolts. I did what my father knew to do and tried the easy outs and we ended up breaking 3 off in the screws before we decided to try something different.

What I finally did was drill out the studs with drill sizes going up in small increments and re-taping the hole. So far this has appeared to hold up and was much less frustrating than breaking off ez outs.

Save yourself time and headaches: drill the studs out and re-tap.

Hey Matt, I wasn't quite sure how to introduce myself. And thanks for the compliments on the car, stop, your making me blush! Here's a link to my gallery on zdriver.com:

http://zdriver.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=3088&cat=500&thumb=1

Its a little further along, but not much. I spent the whole summer working on the truck to pull the car! It will be going this spring do or die.

Phil